Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Guilty pleasures vs. usable names

Share your top guilty pleasure and top usable name for girls and boys. Also, what is your definition of guilty pleasure vs. usable name? Please include middles if you have them.

Guilty pleasures:
    Nicabar Ozias
    Cerelia Orchid

Usable names:
    Genevieve Claire
    Joshua Cael

A guilty pleasure is a name I love but could never use because of likely teasing/mispronunciation/misspelling. A usable name is one that is familiar, but the middle can be unusual. Usable names must have a nickname if the name isn't quite right.
    ~Mehri

GP
    Zabava (mispronunciation and it's actually quite funny sounding in Russian) and Beata (bea-tuh) for a girl
    Svyatopolk (m/p and the old name image) and Rhadamanthus (well, you see) for a boy
    Usable
    Sophronia Primrose Circe nn Nina
    Amyas Vivian Cerdic nn Am

My definition for guilty unusable names clearly matches your own. I would use them in middle spot though.

Temperance
    Etain
    Ondine
    Ingrid | Kit | Susanna | Alistair

A guilty pleasure name is one that I wouldn't use, whether that be due to being too popular, too uncommon, too associated with a pop culture character etc.

My top guilty pleasure names are probably February Saga, Esperanza Temple, Aeneas Faramir, and Sherlock Indiana. My top usable names change all the time, but right now they are probably Viola Thisbe, Ottilie Cora, Jonah Thomas, and Arthur Klaus.
    Alice. Marian. Juno. Branwen. Helena. Polly. Ophelia. Rosalind. Cosima. Matilda. Edith. Anna. Claudia. Frances.
    Arthur. Henry. Caspian. Stanley. Justice. Dexter. Edmund. Thomas. Nathaniel. Forest. Oscar. Lucian. Peter.

http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9782360
    http://listography.com/sapphires

My definition of an unusable guilty pleasure is a name I can't imagine on any type of person. I avoid names that are over the top, hard to pronounce etc. because I don't know what kind of person my child would grow up to be. For example, Olympia, Melisande, Perseus and Ultan are some of my favourite guilty pleasures. But I would never, ever consider using them because frankly, I think those names would be torturous for someone who has a meek, shy and unassuming disposition.

I try to keep my usable list grounded, nothing too out there or unwearable. Nothing so unfamiliar they might end up hating having a name so different to their peers. It has to be reasonably well known but not overly popular, a simple, familiar spelling and a name that would suit someone from any walk of life.

Guilty Pleasures
    Olympia
    Octavia
    Anastasia
    Araminta
    Sophronia
    Calliope

Barnaby
    Orlando
    Rowan
    Ivan

Usable List
    Daisy
    Lucy
    Evelyn
    Layla
    Rosalind

Philip
    George
    Noah
    William

Mama to Amelie Clara (2008) & Daisy Madeline (2013).

Alice Tallulah, Polly Matilda, Rosalie Faye, Lucy Annabel, Maya Lillian, Hazel Kate, Eva Blossom, Juliet Lila, Ivy Camille.
    Charles Joshua "Charlie", Theodore Samuel "Teddy", Elliott Daniel, Noah Zachary, James Oscar, Arthur Philip, Rowan Isaac.