Names Searched Right Now:

Threaded View

No, definitely not too late to reconsider. With our last little one, I decided, on a whim, to name the "bump" Quigley. And the entire family loved it. People on BOTH SIDES told me I should put it on the birth certificate. I kid you not. I mean it was cute as a bump name, but for real? We tried soooo hard to think of a different Q name so we could keep Quigley as the nn, and DH blabbed the name we were thinking -- at Thanksgiving dinner. I hadn't finished thinking it over and I felt soooo rushed into being stuck with that name. I was only maybe 5 months pregnant at the time, but I totally get where you're coming from. Anyway, I had to work up the nerve to tell him I really didn't want that name, because he really did want it. We had to go back to the drawing board completely to find a different name we both liked -- no just going to MY favorite name.

Even though I think it's a great idea to pick two or three names you like and decide when you meet him, because of my own experience I'm pretty sure DH would have held on to that Q name to the bitter end. But in all honesty, I might have done the same with my favorite and then we would have been at an impasse at the hospital! Maybe it would be better to take Thomas off the table -- as well as your Edmund and Gareth -- and then come up with one or two different choices. Your whole list is very classic so you'll not go wrong with any.

Alternatively, you could consider using a first name/middle name combinations with your favorites -- Thomas Edmund, maybe? Encourage nn Ted, a combination of the first and middle?

That said, Thomas Russell is a fine, upstanding name. Your whole list is very nice. If you truly can't stand Tommy as a nn, I think that's a good reason to reconsider the name, because it's very likely he'll be called Tommy or Tom at some point. But I think you could say goodbye to Gareth too, because Gareth Russell with that TH and then R can be a bit tricky. But maybe you two would like Garret instead?

Good luck, I know it can be hard hashing it out but it's worthwhile to come to a solution both of you like.