Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Maybe you could use a different spelling
    Good luck xo

I used a nephew's middle name as my son's middle name. It is sort of a family name (my uncle and also my brother's middle) so I guess we are as entitled to it as they are but honestly we didn't even think about it too much. I know my nephew was chuffed when we announced the name as he had a connection to the new exciting baby. If we had wanted it, I would have used it as a first in this case without hesitating, although we might have given them a heads up first.

However, my niece has an interesting first name and a gorgeous middle that I love, but would not use (as a first or middle)- first because they quite often call her by both her names so it is really 'her' name. Also if she decides her first name is too creative for her when she grows up, she will have the option of using the middle, and I wouldn't want to take that away (but quite honestly I don't think that will be an issue, it's more the fact that she seems to really own this as part of her name).

I think it depends on a few things. Do the nieces or nephews ever get called by their middle name in part or entirity? Even if one gets called Emma Joy or whatever sometimes, the use of the middle name is probably too much to make it usable. Also, popularity - William would be much more fair game than Walter, as William is pretty popular at the minute while Walter isn't. Spelling it differently might help - Eleanor instead of Elinor, for example, and I'd probably ask the parents first.

"We're strongly considering Felix for this baby if it's a boy, but have just remembered it's Luke's middle name. I hope you don't mind if we use it, it's such a great name after all."

It does depend on your sibling relationships though.

Anna Katherine * Lydia Ellen * Zoe Madeleine * Phoebe ___ * Imogen ___ * Emilia ___
    Samuel * Thomas * Charlie * Reuben * Oliver * George

It's so much easier to just be open and honest. Ask your siblings. And if the niece/nephew is old enough, ask them.
    I wouldn't mind if I shared my name or if a sibling used my child's name but I'd feel kind of offended if they just up and announced "This is the name!" and didn't even have the decency to give me a heads up. It's very inconsiderate

Shea * Jade * Azure * Fox * Greer * Blaise
    Lotus * Tallulah * Noor * Jasper * Linden * Arden

It's the kind of thing I'd ask them about. Are they family names? You might be able to get away with naming your kids after the same relatives.

What names have you considered/agreed on? Maybe if you started a thread we could suggest other names you might not have thought of.
    I’m just trying to behave as I think a friend should behave. Granted, I haven’t had much practice.

~Elphaba Thropp, Wicked, by Gregory Maguire