Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Lightbulb Regal European style double names: What do you think?

What do you think of European double names? We all have heard of the Anne-Maries & Jean Pauls. These names are said together and usually stay together. Hyphen sometimes there, others not. Does the hyphen make the name too crowded? I'm curious about my combinations, what's your impressions?
    1. Anna Beatrix
    2. Amalia Josephina
    3. Evangelina Sofia
    I just like names and languages.
    :geek:homespun names with a warm sitting-by-the-fire feeling, they're like comfort food but in name form :?:

I think the hyphen helps keep the names together until it isn't needed because it is assumed that it should be said together. I don't know if your names work as double names, in my opinion because they have too many syllables and are more sophisticated names. John, Paul, & Anne are all one syllables and I think that makes it easier to pair them up as one ( even with the two syllable Marie)

Quote Originally Posted by jmo2 View Post
    I think the hyphen helps keep the names together until it isn't needed because it is assumed that it should be said together. I don't know if your names work as double names, in my opinion because they have too many syllables and are more sophisticated names. John, Paul, & Anne are all one syllables and I think that makes it easier to pair them up as one ( even with the two syllable Marie)
    I couldn't have said this better. I know a Mary-Katherine and no matter how much her parents tried it always got shortened to Mary-Kate or Mary-K (even MK). It was just too long. For double barrels to work in full in the long run they need to be short and sweet names.
    CONSTRUCTION ZONE!!!
    maybe Endora, Dexter, Gideon & Lorelei
    Newlywed (Not TTC...yet)

I am not really a fan of double barrel first names. I agree with the above poster that the hyphen helps for clarity. In terms of your list, your options are lovely as a fn and mn, but are too many syllables for a double barrel fn IMHO.
    D.S. lil Bam Bam

I don't think I'd use it, but I generally like double names. From your list, I think Anna-Beatrix is lovely.