Names Searched Right Now:
Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast

Thread: The Roo Redo

Thanks again, ladies and gentleman

Javad; thanks for going through the three names so thoroughly. I'm not sure which (Alcyone & Circe) I like better as a name, but I'm much more attached to Circe's story... as for using Circe for Roo, no, does not suit her at all. Too stormy and defiant.

Amy; Endymion, of course! Brilliant! And, no, I could still use Circe as a middle, it has crossed my mind.

Fluzie; Aphrodite Willow Delphine is beautiful, thank you.

RGE; oh, mermaids! I do love Morgana! And Serena is stunning, but I have two friends with babies by this name.

Rollo; yes, Venus is the Roman Goddess of love, beauty, prosperity, war (victorious battle) and so on, associated with Aphrodite. She was in the Italian region before the Greek cults arrived in Rome, but which aspects of her are borrowed from Aphrodite and which she already had is uncertain.

Whirli; so cute

Moonie; Boyfriend has certain rules, I don't have a problem with Alcyone and Circe either. All him!

Seesh; glad to hear you had a good time! It's just the similarity in sound, he's rules out a few other names; it's like a domino game this naming business. Thanks for your opinions on my feelings about Pandora, it helps.

Lex; haha, maybe I should start asking random strangers to say her name! She reacts the same way when my boyfriend says it, so it's definitely something in that name. And everything I said to Sessha applies to you to (except the vacation thing, unless of course you've just been on a vacation and haven't told me ).

Emma; Aphrodite & Zenobia would be smashing, thank you!

Her self chosen name is Aphrodite. She smiles every time I get to the dite part. I've also done tarot readings, and the deck says the same thing (but that might be because it's in my gut). Besides, Aphrodite fits in with the Pisces sign much more than Alcyone and Pandora. But we're not completely certain yet. I'm going to sit with it for a while before I (we) completely make up our minds.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

I have to agree with Emma. I think it would even be cheesy if you restricted yourself to a deity from a major pantheon. I think Aphrodite would pair better and shine more with names that aren't even necessarily Greek-- Amoret, Faramond, etc.
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq

I feel like most of this has been stated, but here are my thoughts - I apologize if they are redundant. I don't think it is silly to be swayed by pop culture references, as they, for better or worse, ultimately become a part of the history of a name. Of course, some references will stick for some people and some will not. Pandora will always first and foremost be the myth, but it is also now inextricably related to the website for me. I probably would not use the name, as I know several people who may only associate the name with one of the several relatively prominent associations and I think that would bother me. If these associations weren't so prominent, the issue would be a much smaller issue. To me, Aphrodite has a similar problem. The name is so so tied to the deity that she will likely be the first thing that comes to mind whenever someone first hears your daughter's name. It's not a bad association at all, but it's just ever so strong and universal. While Alcyone has a relatively singular association, it's much less well known and more mysterious. In my personal desire for a name, this is preferable. This, in combination with the fact that Alcyone best reflects the imagery you originally stated, makes this name the unquestionable front runner for me.
    Loving right now:
    Eulalie Catharina, Beatrix Eveline, Cecily Morgana
    Ivo Marius, Euan Casper, Remy Nathaneal, Crispin Adair

Ahhh, our partners and their rules! It is good that he has input, though.

As for Aphrodite, who wouldn't smile at that name - it's fabulous! And just so you know, I will alwasy call her afro-dee-tay in my head if that's what you go with.
    Baby Sequoia Orion due October 2014!
    Other favorites: Cytheria, Arcadia, Seraphina, Caspian, Gideon

I love Aphrodite Illyria Maris.

FWIW, you can use Maris at her christening as a reference to Mary (Stella Maris).
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq