Names Searched Right Now:
Page 27 of 41 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 ... LastLast

Thread: The Roo Redo

Renaming the otter baby without me? See this is what I get for going on vacation to an internet-free zone!

From your "final four", Alcyone is my ultimate love...she's so rich in nature and mythos, associated with the dreamy Halcyon Days, bright darting kingfishers, and the brightest star in Pleiades.

I do prefer Aphrodite to Venus, for all the reasons Blade mentioned. But it is hard for me to see Aphrodite as green/blue/spring-like. I totally understand that to you she represents all things vibrant and alive, but to me she's the cotton candy pink of boxed valentines. I do like the connection to the Roo nickname.

I do think that Calypso has been snapped up by your acquaintance, not because she has dibs on the name per se, but because like others have mentioned you and your darling family are SO unique and magical that I think it will be important for little Roo to feel like her name is original and one of a kind. Callisto is a decent alternative, but she's more lispy and loses some of that lilting blue-green magic.

Pandora Pandora Pandora....you are a Pandora's box all your own, aren't you? This is such a loaded name for me. I can totally see your love of the curiousity expressed in her myth and Pandaroo is unbelievably darling. I just think this name has so many other associations...the internet radio station, James Cameron's incredibly rich 3D world created for Avatar (which I found beautiful, but many disagree), setting for the popular post-apocalyptic video game series Borderlands, not to mention the associations with unleashing all the evil on the world (which is how many who aren't familiar with the myth remember the story). In your circles, none of these things may be a problem, but they are just things to consider. The modern Pandora has a very sci-fi, gothic vibe, and I'm not sure how well that translates for little Roo and her greenling soul.

EDIT: of course now you reply while I'm typing! haha.

Quote Originally Posted by ottilie View Post
    We've tried the names out for two days now, and it's been so much fun. We're by no means done yet (we need more time) but we think she might've chosen her own name. Whenever I say one of the names she smiles and makes these adorable little happy noises! I've tried saying it in many different ways, but no matter what tone it's in, she lights up when she hears it! She hasn't had any particular reaction to any of the other names. Hmm... still contemplating though... although this would kind of give me an out. If she hates it when she grows up I could blame it all on her - or would that be mean?
    Regardless of what I said above, all of your choices are beautiful and I'm dying with curiousity to see which name Roo is responding to!
    Last edited by sleepysessha; May 26th, 2013 at 06:20 PM.
    Zion Nathaniel ~ Solomon Fable ~ Balthazar Wolf ~ Malachi Sparrow nn Kai ~ Tobias Rowan ~ Caspian _____
    Alice Willow ~ Ophelia Wren ~ Juliet Snow ~ Lucia Pearl ~ Eve Wisteria nn Evie ~ Cosima Rose ~ River Seraphine ~ Elowen Briar

GPs
    Narnia Rose, Astoria nn Story, Illyria, Serafina, Soraya, Faerydae
    Orion Melchior North, Tobias Loki, Edmund, Frost, Oberon, Kenshin, Remiel, Atreyu

There you are! Vacation sounds lovely...

Thanks for your reply, always great to get some good Sessha advice and opinions! It's really between Alcyone, Aphrodite and Pandora now, when I say Callisto to her it just feels all wrong. I'm saddened that people have all these other associations with Pandora... bracelets, Avatar and internet radio and all. Too bad I get that people can see Aphrodite as all pink, it does have some pink for me too, but more like the sky when the sun is setting, and the wispy clouds turn light pink. But it's mostly blues and greens, and nature! Lots and lots of beautiful nature.
    Last edited by ottilie; May 26th, 2013 at 07:16 PM.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Love your final three!
    Alycone sounds like warm chocolate and camping songs. Aphrodite royal blue and striking pink, and when I say it all I'm getting is ideas of the moon. Pandora is silver and dainty blue, wisps of clouds and well kept secrets.

Personally Alycone draws me the most, but I really love Pandora.

Best of luck to you Ottilie, I love all of your choices and whatever it ends up being, your daughter is going to have a beautiful name!
    Catelin Geneva
    Just highschooler by day author by night obsessed with names and future babies when she's much older.

Cecily Eirwen Ophelia, Belphoebe Judith Primrose, Isolde Bellona Winter, Circe Guinevere Florence
    ::
    Rainier Gideon Wolf, Eddard Severus Wolf, Peregrin Julius Harrow, Dorian Oliver Fox, Casimir Endymion Silver

Quote Originally Posted by ottilie View Post
    We're by no means done yet (we need more time) but we think she might've chosen her own name. Whenever I say one of the names she smiles and makes these adorable little happy noises! I've tried saying it in many different ways, but no matter what tone it's in, she lights up when she hears it! She hasn't had any particular reaction to any of the other names. Hmm... still contemplating though... although this would kind of give me an out. If she hates it when she grows up I could blame it all on her - or would that be mean?
    I love the idea of letting a baby choose their own name -- and I'm dying to know which one she chose!! In any case, if she grows up to hate her name (which, given your excellent taste, I doubt) you can always say, "Don't blame me, kid, you named yourself."
    Simon Valor | Eloise Lily | Judah Sage | Thea Marina | Felix Orion | Iris Cordelia | Roscoe Benjamin | Lydia Wren | Jasper Conroy | Phaedra Naomi | Adrian Bruno | Lucinda 'Indie' Jane | Wallace Finnegan | Sylvie Winifred | Charles 'Charlie' Elliot | Juniper Faye | Julian 'Jules' Atlas | Matilda Sailor | Marlowe Charles | Alice Elizabeth | Jack Mariner | Marigold 'Maggie' Susan

Just a grad student, dreaming ahead...

Pandora Amethyst Willow is my favorite of your name combos.

To my ears, Pandora is not only unique and magical, but also a name that is totally usable and functional long-term. I read your post on the blog about changing names when older, and I think if you named your Roo Pandora she'd never have a reason to even consider changing it!

Amethyst has always been a guilty pleasure name of mine, so I am all for it, and Willow has the green/blue/brown feel that brings the magical purple of Amethyst down to earth.

Looking forward to your final decision!