Names Searched Right Now:
Page 24 of 41 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 ... LastLast

Thread: The Roo Redo

Great short list ottilie; it's been fun to watch it evolve. Good luck.

Personally, Alcyone and Aphrodite are about tied, followed very closely by Callisto, with Pandora in distant fourth. But of course, whatever fits!
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Mireia * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Amal _ Hanan / Altair _ Fahd _ Ilyas _ Sajjad _ Saqr _ Tariq

I'm glad you like Aphrodite Illyria Laurel. To me, it's a joyous, triumphant name, full of gusty movement and saturated green-blue. I think of kelp billowing in underwater currents, warm winds carrying the peppery bay fragrance of laurel trees.
    But yeah- give it some time, consult your shaman.. ;-)

I also prefer Aphrodite to Venus. With Venus, I think of sex and the painting of her naked in the seashell and the planet, with Aphrodite, for unknown reasons, I don't think of sex nearly as much. Like you said, more femininity less sex (again, no idea why). Also, Aphrodite wasn't just beauty or physical beauty or anything, she was Goddess of love, beauty, desire, and pleasure. She was depicted as a beautiful woman and poets praise the radiance of her smile and her laughter. Her symbols include roses and other flowers, the scallop shell, and myrtle wreath. Her sacred animals are doves and sparrows. I think it fits nicely ^_^
    As for nicknames, besides Roo, Aphra, Aphrie, Phe/Fee...

My other favorite is Alcyone (which, since someone asked, does not has a long I sound (like sigh) but an ee sound -- al-see-ohn-ee (is how Ottilie is saying it I believe). It's going to be harder for people to learn how to say, but I don't think terrible hard. It still has lots of common nicknames and seems to fit what you're going for.

I also really like Callisto. I think it's far enough away from Calypso but still with the same sort of feeling. It's very pretty and fun and bouncy feeling to me.
    Last edited by dantea; May 25th, 2013 at 03:39 PM.
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

Quote Originally Posted by dantea View Post
    My other favorite is Alcyone (which, since someone asked, does not has a long I sound (like sigh) but an ee sound -- al-see-ohn-ee (is how Ottilie is saying it I believe). It's going to be harder for people to learn how to say, but I don't think terrible hard. It still has lots of common nicknames and seems to fit what you're going for.
    I think the pronunciation thing is what would put me off Alcyone. I look at it and see 'al-key-oh-nee' and the 'alky' part just makes me think of alcoholics. :/
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: The book is now complete. All chapters are up!

Quote Originally Posted by renrose View Post
    I think the pronunciation thing is what would put me off Alcyone. I look at it and see 'al-key-oh-nee' and the 'alky' part just makes me think of alcoholics. :/
    You're right. The traditional way to say it is like that -- al-key-ohn-ee (as c makes a hard sound in Greek) -- but it's one of those that's been mispronounced so long the mispronunciation is the actual accepted one (like with Circe, Hermione, etc).

That being said, the al-see-ohn-ee pronunciation is still lovely and very widely accepted so, once you get everyone familiar with it, would be fine. It's no harder to learn of how to pronounce than when you see Aleckxanndr or Sophieyaah (which, believe it or not is one I've encountered)and as expected to know that it's Alexander and Sophia
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014