Names Searched Right Now:
Page 17 of 41 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast

Thread: The Roo Redo

Haha, I love them too! I actually have one of these... they have a lot of really cute ones and plus it makes a really easy bday/xmas present idea for me from now on. Was just pointing it out in case you hadn't heard of them (Not sure if it is just an American thing?) You should definitely do a search for "pandora charms" and check them out but only as long as you hide your credit card from yourself first. =]
    Dominic James~ (4)

Gabriel : Jude : Phineas : Sebastian
    Elena : Felicity : Lavender : Julia

Quote Originally Posted by ottilie View Post
    So we're going to try Alcyone, Pandora and Venus for a few days and see what fits.

Alcyone Illyria Wren, Alcyone Tabitha Wren
    Pandora Tabitha Wren, Pandora Willow Illyria
    Venus Tabitha Wren, Venus Laurel Sybilla, Venus Illyria Willow
    I think this is a great idea. You should close this thread, not solicit any feedback for a few days, and see what settles out. I would focus on first names only, not worrying about full combinations for now.

I wonder if you might try Aphrodite instead of Venus? I think Venus is more ripe for teasing (penis, venal, anus, etc) and at least in some of the old books I used to read, 'venus' was used as the personification of impersonal lust, as opposed to Eros, which was full, personal erotic love. Aphrodite is the same person but I think the name is more rarified (and might sound better with a single-syllable surname) and much less teasable.

Finally-- I've heard Alcyone pronounced with a long I (al-SYE-oh-nee) as well as the short. I do like the English pronuncaition much better, as the hard K makes the name sound very chemical (alkaline, alkaloids, etc). If you choose the long I sound, I think it pairs better with Illyria than with the short I.
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq

Quote Originally Posted by amydomsmom View Post
    Was just pointing it out in case you hadn't heard of them (Not sure if it is just an American thing?) You should definitely do a search for "pandora charms" and check them out but only as long as you hide your credit card from yourself first. =]
    We have them here So, so pretty but woefully expensive.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

I'm just seeing this now, and I haven't had a chance to read through the many pages of replies, so perhaps your thoughts have updated. But I wanted to give you my general impression on the names from your original post.

Rosmerta- I like it a lot. Might even be my favorite of the names in your post. It feels friendly and a bit romantic. But is it different enough from Rosalind? If she's not a Rosalind will she be a Rosmerta?

Rozhanitsa- I like it in theory, but there's something about it that just doesn't feel quite right. I've known people named Rose, Anne, Anita, Nisa, Anisa, Rosa, and this name feels a bit like a smashing together of all of them.

Pandora- I like the sound of it, but the Pandora's box thing is a pretty strong association. Releasing all the evils of the world isn't exactly the coolest thing to do. This could be okay, but it is one of those names that I could see someone growing to not like during their life.

Melpomene- I'm not quite sure how to pronounce this one. The way I'm reading it makes it sound a little like pomelo but with switched around syllables and an added 'ene'. I think I could like the name, but it would take some time.

Pomeline- I like it. I don't know anything about it, but I like it in my first impression. It has a very noble sound quality to it to my ear. It's cool.

Polyhymnia- I don't like it. It'd be the first I'd cut from your list. Sounds like a scientific name, perhaps for someone who has an incredible love for many hymns "poly""hymn""mania".

Melusine- I like it. I don't know anything about it, but it leaves a nice first impression for me. I don't know if I'm pronouncing it right or not though. But I think it could be a cool choice.

Venus- Hmm... hmm... I really can't decide what I think about this name. I do think it'd make a good middle name, but I can't quite decide if I'd like it as a first name or not. It wouldn't be the one I'd pick from your list.

Are you definitely gonna be changing the middle names too? I really like Ilyria (sp?) that you have already (I can't recall the other middle name you originally chose at the moment).

I'll read through all the replies later, and if I think of any suggestions or anything, I'll send them your way.

Good luck!
    Updated Name List- http://www.ebabynames.com/list/eff115- Vote away...

Quote Originally Posted by ottilie View Post
    [...]
    So we're going to try Alcyone, Pandora and Venus for a few days and see what fits.

Alcyone Illyria Wren, Alcyone Tabitha Wren
    Pandora Tabitha Wren, Pandora Willow Illyria
    Venus Tabitha Wren, Venus Laurel Sybilla, Venus Illyria Willow
    [...]
    Oh, I think this is a wonderful idea. I'd encourage you to chart how you feel about each name each day and what your mood was as well. (Kind of like you did/are doing with Roo's sleep, and feeding schedule and the like.) It might help you figure out on are more objective scale how you feel about each name. Your boyfriend could do the same and the two of you can compare after the experiment is done.
    MAJOR CONSTRUCTION ZONE
    newlywed!!! (not trying...yet)