Names Searched Right Now:
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Anshl is Yiddish for Asher. It's probably NOT going to follow Asher up the charts because almost nobody is using it, but I like it. It's got the pleasant meaning of Asher and a bit of the edge of Axel.

Admittedly I like Asher enough to consider it in any case.

Did like the suggestion of Oren.

Due to pop culture references, I like Ariel but would only use Ari or Aryeh - but for the same reason, I'd use Uziel but not Uzi.

FTR, Yael is a girl's name, both biblically and culturally.

OP, I'm not sure about your background so I don't know exactly what you're looking for in a name, but some of the ones mentioned might be of Hebrew/Biblical origin, but aren't really in use in any Jewish community I know of (which pretty much run the gamut from completely secular to ultra-Orthodox). Anglicizations of uncommon biblical names (like Eben, Jethro, Abel) would probably come across pretty awkwardly, although if you love a name that's not necessarily reason enough to drop it.

I like the suggestion of Oren! I also thought of Yishai, Nadav, Adiel, Azriel, Ilan, Samson/Shimshon.
    Last edited by spring13; July 4th, 2013 at 10:51 AM.

I love the names Ilan, Lev, Dan and Zev but only have one not mentioned but has been a long time favorite - Simcha. I know a Simcha (he was call Simmy or Sim) and have loved it as a name since I first heard it.

I love the name Simcha! But to me it's all chick - actually this and Shoshana are our number one baby girl names. Yes I know it's a male name, but it's effeminate kinda like Sascha.
    “And remember, my sentimental friend, that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others.” L. Frank Baum, The Wizard of Oz

Here are my personal favorite Hebrew-origin names (some quite popular, some not at all so):

Amiel
    Ari
    Ash
    Asher
    Ethan
    Ishmael
    Jake
    Japhy
    Lev
    Liev
    Malachi
    Michal
    Nathaniel
    Omri
    Raphael
    Shai
    Shia
    Shiloh
    Solomon
    Tobin

I am Jewish myself, and do feel that the whole "Cohen as a first name" trend is a bit odd. Wouldn't personally recommend using that name, as there are so many other great ones to choose from.