Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Angry Hormonal Acne!!!

Hey again 'berries!

So I'm a little upset with myself right now. Or a lot. This is why - ever since I went off the bc pill, about 2 years ago, my skin has gone back to it's acne-riddled, teenage-like appearance. Huge bummer because while on the pill (for about 12 years) my skin was generally pretty great. But anyway, now that I'm preggo, it's gone COMPLETELY nuts. I'm talking (b)acne, on my throat, all over my face, UGH. Disgusting. And really annoying. So needless to say, I've been using a Clinique acne treatment kit that came very highly recommended to me by friends.

Yesterday I was looking around online to maybe find something that would work better for me, since the Clinique only seems to help a little, when I suddenly see all these warnings saying to absolutely NOT use Salicylic Acid during pregnancy! WHA??? Why the h-e-double-hockey-sticks didn't anyone mention that to me before, esp my OB??? I seriously had zero idea that it was an issue, it never even occurred to me. There's such an incredibly small amount of it in topical acne meds that I didn't think twice about it (and yes, I've only used topical stuff). Basically I'm just very disappointed - in myself for not thinking of it, and my OB for not mentioning it. I know that acne during pregnancy is very common, I would think this would be something she would discuss with all pregnant women!

Anyway, just needed to vent a little I guess and find out if any of you have any thoughts/experiences with this? Even better, since acne meds are out, does anyone have any all-natural acne treatments that actually work? I picked up a Burt's Bees Herbal Acne Treatment stick yesterday and a Shea Moisture Organic Black African Soap bar and I'm going to try both. But I'd love to hear what's worked for you? My yucky skin is seriously bumming me out.

Thanks 'berries! <3

I've heard mixed things on salicylic acid...some lists seem to say that you should avoid it entirely, but others say that the amount in a drugstore cleanser is fine, it's the oral supplements or heavy duty stuff that should be avoided. So that's not very helpful...ask your doctor?

I use Cetaphil, my skins actually been pretty good through pregnancy, but super sensitive. I also like Yes to Grapefruit cleanser for random breakouts and have heard good stuff about the Burt's bees acne line. I havent looked it up, but if teatree oil is okay, its great for acne.

Hope you find something that works!
    mom to livvy jozefa 7.10.13

Oh no! I've never had a lot of problems with unclear skin, but when I got pregnant I started getting a few spots here and there. So I went to Space NK and bought the following products:
    Skin Clearing Face & Body Wash by Clark's Botanicals (morning and evening: use a washcloth to moisten face and to remove the gel after)
    Intense Hydration Serum by Eve Lom (one teeny tiny drop applied after your face is dry)
    Pore Collector Gel by Algenist or Smoothing Marine Cream by Clark's Botanicals (day creams)

It worked almost over night! I've also never tried anything that didn't make me look and feel good by By Terry, Eve Lom, Jurlique, Perricone MD, Dr Brandt or Shu Uemura.

Good luck!
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

The only thing keeping my skin clear is from a brand called Vichy. Its called Normaderm. I buy it at the drug store (CVS- I've never seen it anywhere else) It does have salicylic acid, but it works. I've tried literally every single brand available. This one is the only one that works. It is a bit pricey.

Ironically, BC makes me breakout. Sigh. Seriously considering going off. The stuff makes me crazy.
    My darling little Bean is a G I R L!
    Making her debut September 2014

I've noticed this too since this is the longest time I've ever been off BC. I use a tea tree oil based cleanser made be Desert Essence. Tea tree cleansers are just as effective as harsher 10% benzoyl peroxide cleansers, and then you don't have to worry about bleach spots on your towels. I make my hubby use SA pads by neutrogena, and we keep a 5% BP scrub in the shower.
    “And remember, my sentimental friend, that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others.” L. Frank Baum, The Wizard of Oz