Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

When your friends are disappointing namers

Have you ever known someone who was pregnant and been so excited to hear what name they would come up with and then when you hear it you're just like "....but....you had such potential"? It happens to me a lot.

This is mostly through Facebook friends of mine. Each of these people was intelligent, well-read, creative, and I was so looking forward to hearing what they'd come up with for their kids. I imagined some vintage, classic girl names that fit my friends' personalities. Maybe a Freya or an Alice, maybe a Martha or a Hattie. What I got was so disappointing.

One acquaintance named her daughter Macklee. I just...Macklee. I can't even. It sounds like a fish.
    Another named her daughter Pressleigh. Because Presley wasn't trendy enough I guess?
    The next named her daughter Bentlee. To set her apart from all the Bentleys, maybe?
    One named her daughter Mykynleigh. I can't even with this one. I'm not fond of McKinley on a girl in the first place, but this is a thousand times worse.

What are your disappointments with friends/acquaintances naming practices?
    I hope to be a mom one day. For now I enjoy being a name lover.

My apologies for any typos; i post from my mobile phone.

My next door neighbour's daughter named her second son Colton (his older brother is Tyler). However, comparing them to the names that your friends chose, I'm not going to complain. I don't understand why intelligent, well-read people name their children Macklee, Pressley, Bentlee and Mykynleigh? Bad spellings aren't good for anyone and they make the parents "look" illiterate even when they're not.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

An acquaintance just named her daughter Eleyna, after the Elena in the TV show Vampire Diaries. Really? Who wants to be named after a teenage vampire ?

Quote Originally Posted by austriangirl View Post
    An acquaintance just named her daughter Eleyna, after the Elena in the TV show Vampire Diaries. Really? Who wants to be named after a teenage vampire ?
    While the spelling makes me a little sad, Elena itself is a beautiful name. Vampires or not.
    My Zoe ... My life
    9/12/14

A friend is about to name her son Jaxon. I am a huge fan of Jack, and I can handle Jackson, but........Jaxon?? Why?
    Mama to
    Desmond Sanders, born 7/2013
    and dog son, Lambeau