Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Some recent baby names of family members/friends:

Jaxin- ughhhh

Timothy- not bad, especially considering his brothers are Pierceton and Brentley

Madeline- trendy but pretty enough

Cooper- brother to Jeb- not a fan of either but Cooper is better than Jeb

Braelyn- ugh

Kinley- ugh

McKaylee- ughhhh

Amelia- trendy but pretty and classic

Rowan (male)- surprising

James and Lucas- solid enough
    Adriana Josephine,Alessandra Mary,Leah Susannah Claire,Mariana Abigail,Marisol Demetria,Caroline Michaela,Angelina Josephine,Susannah Loretta Fay,Leah Katarina,Eliza Cristina Joyce,Antonia Faith,Diana Jade,Audrina Rosemary,Sarah Guinevere,Catherine Ariadne, Jade Olivia *Nathaniel Malachi, Wesley Joseph,Gavin Daniel,Daniel Nico,Lewis Malcolm,Jared Levi,Jesse Levi,Connor Sebastian,Callum Wade,Keegan Jude,Quentin Dominic,Adam Elias,Calder Avery,Riley Shea,Adrian Daniel,Avery Shea,Joseph Dominic

Well, everyone has a different naming style. Some parents prefer unique names, while others like popular, easily recognized names. As a teacher, I have seen a variety of names in my classroom. Even if a name is not one I would choose for a child, I always believe a name was chosen out of love and/or has special meaning to the parents.

My most disappointing friend named her daughter Kyn.ley Rae. Kenley is bad enough, but it grates on me every time I see that extra y. Ugh.

But this reminded me of the most sad naming story I've ever heard. I worked with a girl (she was around 16-18 at the time) who had the traditionally male name of Corbin. I asked her about it one day, and she explained that she had seven older brothers, and her parents had just assumed that she would also be a boy and had the name picked out for a boy. When she was born, they just decided to use it anyway.

I died a little inside. Not only had they just shoved off the responsibility of naming AND bestowed a boy's name on a girl, BUT they had also missed a huge opportunity! After so many boys, they didn't get excited to name a girl? They didn't CARE enough to put any effort into naming their daughter?! I don't know whether I'm more offended as a name nerd or a woman!
    - current loves -
    Harriet - Flora - Violet - Clementine - Matilda - Wilhelmina - Josephine - Cordelia
    Milo - Frederick - Dashiell - Gus - Atticus - Felix - Theo - Harrison - Jack

But this reminded me of the most sad naming story I've ever heard. I worked with a girl (she was around 16-18 at the time) who had the traditionally male name of Corbin. I asked her about it one day, and she explained that she had seven older brothers, and her parents had just assumed that she would also be a boy and had the name picked out for a boy. When she was born, they just decided to use it anyway.

I died a little inside. Not only had they just shoved off the responsibility of naming AND bestowed a boy's name on a girl, BUT they had also missed a huge opportunity! After so many boys, they didn't get excited to name a girl? They didn't CARE enough to put any effort into naming their daughter?! I don't know whether I'm more offended as a name nerd or a woman!
    What a sad story! Every child should be given the same respect. After seven boys, this lady's parents should have jumped for joy and given careful consideration in choosing her name. I can only feel for her.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

I often encounter trendy names that I dislike from friends... M@disen, McKinley, O@kleigh (for girls)... And my sister married a Johnson, then named her son Bri@n (about as nondescript as you can get)... But I think the worst so far was a college friend. He's a very intelligent guy who is a voracious reader, speaks 4+ languages, writes poetry, has travelled the world, etc. He named his daughter a lovely, traditional Portuguese name. However, when it came to his son... I have no idea what happened. He named the kid after Superm@n... that's right. He named his child K@lel (with an a for the @... I just don't want this to be searchable). K@lel is Superm@n's given name on Krypton. Why would you do that to your son? Just why...
    Emiliana Pari 郑煜曈 '14

XX: Artemisia Baran, Ilaria Katayoun, Acadia Laleh, Rosalind Soraya, Camellia Sitareh, Aida Tahmineh

XY: Raphael Artin, Soren Pasha, Caspian Bardia, Aryo Matthias, Lorenzo Kaveh