Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ezra Jude or Nicholas Grant???

Hi guys,

We need some help making the final decision for a name for our first son. We wanted something unique, but not too crazy. Something lesser known, but that wouldn't be confusing or considered a "new" name. Our last name is italian and has 4 syllables. It starts with an M and ends with an O.

We have narrowed it down to Ezra Jude or Nicholas Grant. We like the uniqueness and sound of Ezra and the meaning of Jude, but we are not at all religious and we are concerned that this name might be too out there. Nicholas Grant is a strong, more traditional name in our eyes, but it does not feel as daring. It almost feels too safe. We are also open to suggestions!

Thanks!

I really like Nicholas Grant. I'd also like Ezra Nicholas if that works.
    Last edited by karacavazos; May 21st, 2013 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Can't type

Tough choice. I love Ezra Jude, but I hear you on using a religious name as a non-religious person (I had to say goodbye to Evangeline for that reason). Nicholas is classic, but Grant isn't my favorite middle name pairing with it. Overall, I would have to pick Ezra Jude.
    Mom to Alexander Patrick (10), Madelyn Esther (8), Genevieve Susan (3), and Theodore James (stillborn at 37 weeks on February 3, 2014). TTC #5

Boys: Everett, Sebastian, Augustus, Samuel, Abraham, Elias, Julian, Silas, Nicholas
    Girls: Bridget, Felicity, Elizabeth, Leona, Ophelia, Caroline, Aurelia, Elysia, Callista

Vote on my long list! http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9844996

Ezra Jude would be the more "unique" choice. Nicholas is in the top 50 boys names in the US so I wouldn't define it as "unique". Many people choose Biblical names without being religious so I don't think you should worry about it too much. Besides, only name nerds would know the meanings of names.

Suggestions

Longer Names (two or more syllables)

Vincent
    Dominic
    Dante
    Tristan
    August
    Lucian
    Raphael
    Simon
    Matthias (if you like alliteration)
    Felix
    Xavier
    Damian/Damon
    Asher
    Micah
    Jonah
    Elias
    Laurence
    Victor
    Cassius
    Marcus
    Anton
    Luca
    Louis
    Darius
    Edmund

Shorter Names (one syllable)

Hugh
    Miles
    Pierce
    Drake
    Dean
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Quote Originally Posted by shieldsc View Post
    Tough choice. I love Ezra Jude, but I hear you on using a religious name as a non-religious person (I had to say goodbye to Evangeline for that reason). Nicholas is classic, but Grant isn't my favorite middle name pairing with it. Overall, I would have to pick Ezra Jude.
    That's been the major issue with those particular names. We love the way they sound together, but we don't want to have to discuss our personal philosophies on religion any time someone assumes we're religious due to our name choice.

Maybe a less religious, but equally handsome middle name would work better?