Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Grey/Gray - aussie needs help

Hello,

Since we are Australian I am unsure of how to spell the name Gray. I really love Gray spelled like this but being Australian and using British English and all it's spellings means that it is spelled Grey. Which one would you use? any other Aussies who also have this problem?

thanks

If you really love Gray then you should go for it. British English also uses the 'honour' spelling with a 'u', yet the Honor spelling is higher in the England and Wales charts (#445) than the Honour spelling (#2275). However, I'm personally very particular with BE spellings and if I met a Grey or an Honour, I would assume their names were spelt that way, and if I was forced to name my son Grey or Gray, I'd spell it 'Grey'. If you do use it, I'd be prepared to have to correct spellings over the years but I don't think it's too big an issue- the surname spelt 'Gray' is fairly common here and, I assume, in Aus
    Last edited by charlieandperry1; May 22nd, 2013 at 10:54 AM.

My husband and I talked about this name and he said that regardless of how you spell the color Gray is the right way to spell the name. I think because it has Ray in it, and it just looks more like a name. So do what you want!

I'm Australian and I think you can use either. The colour is spelled grey in Australia, but you could spell the name either way. It's just personal preference. I think Gray looks nicer as a name myself.
    Alice - Beatrix - Clara - Daphne - Flora - Harriet - Mabel - Susannah

Arthur - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

I'm also Australian. Personally, I prefer the Grey spelling if it's going to be either a first and middle name - I know quite a few Gray families. However, being a name and not a colour, I think you can get away with whichever spelling you prefer.
    [FONT=Times New Roman]
    [CENTER]~Ebony~
    ----------------------------
    [COLOR="#66cc33"]Ignatius - Jasper - Hugo - Edmund - Henry - Oliver - Rupert - Felix - Percy - August - Atticus - Amias - Otto - Barnaby - Arthur - Ezra - Hector - Charles[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="#cc99cc"]Antigone - Hermione - Harriet - Cordelia - Violet - Persephone - Beatrice/Beatrix - Clementine - Ottilie - Florence - Octavia - Drusilla - Agnes - Ida - Matilda - Xanthe[/COLOR]

[/CENTER]
    [SIZE=1]Previously ebonyeden[/SIZE]

[RIGHT][SIZE=1]avatar is my 8th great grandmother.[/SIZE][/RIGHT][/font]