Names Searched Right Now:

Rufus's nickname

Hello all.

Our baby is due in five days and we don't know if it's a boy or a girl. If boy we are planning to name him Gus Levi. We love it and are quite content. However, my grandfather's name was Rufus and I have a niggling feeling that it would be wonderful to name after him. Especially since the name Gus isn't really after anyone. Is there any way Gus could be justified as a nn for Rufus? They are so similar in sound but I think it's too much of a stretch, I'm hoping someone will disagree! Are there any other good nicknames for Rufus that might satisfy the love of Gus? The only one I can think of is Russ and I'm not fond of it. What would some Rufus nicknames be? Rufie?

Thanks!

You could call him Rue. Rufie is obviously not the greatest nn since it sounds like the date rape drug. Gus is not an inherent nn for Rufus, but I don't see why you can't use it. I don't think that Gus is too much of a stretch. Besides people go by nicknames all the time that don't sound close to their full names ie John nn Jack or Henry nn Hank. You could also try picking a middle name that started with the letter "G" if you are really worried about people questioning the nickname Gus: Rufus Graham, Rufus Grant, or Rufus George with nn Gus?

That being said, I think Gus is a fine nn for Rufus. Besides the name has significance to you and your family so it might be a better choice.
    D.S. lil Bam Bam