Names Searched Right Now:
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Dear Mim,
    I am also Australian- so have an Aussie perspective.
    There are very few IVF doctors in Australia who will transfer more than 2 embyros. In fact most will only agree to 1 embyro.
    The reason is to reduce the risk of multiple pregnancy.
    Generally only 2 embryos are transferred when there have been multiple failures with embyros and/or if the woman is over 38.
    A few Doctors will transfer 3 if there is proven poor egg/ poor sperm quality which has resulted in fragmenting low grade embryos- as these types of embyros are unlikely to take at all, and even less likely to take as a multiple pregnancy.
    I personally know a lady who was over 40 and conceived twins with her own eggs. At the 12 week scan they discovered that one twin was healthy while the other had a genetic disorder. They made the decision to selectively terminate the baby with the genetic disorder. However, this went wrong and they selectively took the wrong twin. Which meant she lost both twins.
    I think it is far better to only transfer one embryo at a time as this eliminates risks and choices relating to selective termination.
    After all, each embryo has it's own individual chance and the only thing that makes it tempting to transfer multiple embryos is impatience.

Emilia
    BABY GIRL FINALLY DUE 5 October after 2 Years of IVF
    Delivery booked: Debuting on or before 26th September!

Current favourite "top" 3 girls names for little Miss: Phoebe Rose Eloise
    Other (MNs probably) we like: Matilda Madeleine Charlotte Eliza Violet Kate Jade Elizabeth Iris Scarlett Felicity Chloe

Current (but never to be used...) favourite boy names: Oliver Thomas Henry William Alexander Flynn Liam Hugo Isaac Bennett Nikolai Reid Edward nn Ned Gus Tobias Austin Blake

I'm a New Zealander - it's the same situation here as in Australia. IVF practitioners are usually much more conservative than the stories you hear about from the States.
    Mother to miss Mila Arden and her brand new brother, Cato Bennett

I recommend you contact the Australian Fertility group for more information. They are really helpful.

I am currently doing IVF in Qld, Aus. I had 8 embryos and all were frozen. It's policy if you are under 35 only one embryo is transferred at a time. There are some exceptions where 2 embryos will be transferred.

It you are over 35 you may choose to transfer 2 but no more.

The biggest difference between the states and here is that IVF is more affordable (still expensive though) in Australia. Because of the expense in America sometimes 3-4 embryos will be implanted in one cycle. I don't know if this is fact but it is what my Dr explained to me.

As for you question I personally couldn't go through with selection. As others have said I wouldn't be able to live with the guilt.

The only way I would consider reducing would be if the embryo(s) were a danger to my own life, or the lives of the other embryo(s).

I could not judge someone else and her choices.

Embryos are so small and details of the pregnancy are so hidden from the eye... it gives perfect opportunity for a woman to make such a decision in the best possible way for her without being judged by others. One's reproductivity is no one's business but her own (and her partner's.)

For milasmama and emiliaj- In Australia and NZ, is IVF covered or subsidized by the government? Here in the States, most insurance carriers do not cover it at all. So it is completely out of pocket. When we looked into it, each cycle cost about $14K. The clinic we went to said that they would try three cycles before giving up. So that could have been what, $42K, if it took three cycles to end up w. one successful pregnancy? I would hypothesize that this might be the reason for less conservative IVF practicioners here in the states- if you are paying $14K per cycle, you want the best chance of at least one baby making it, therefore you might be more motivated to risk transferring multiple embryos. Thoughts?