Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Wisdom Teeth!

I have pretty bad anxiety about the dentist, even when I just go in for a cleaning, and getting my wisdom teeth yanked was the easiest experience ever. I wasn't awake for it. I woke up from being under and didn't know they had even done anything. I was sore afterward of course, but nothing to really complain about.
    Mom to baby Leo

Thank you all so much for all your experiences, reassurances, advice and... wisdom I've calmed down now and I'm feeling a lot better about it today. And it is an excellent excuse to be eating lots of ice cream Hopefully, if I do need it out, it'll be as smooth and straightforward as it has been for you guys! Thanks for making me feel better x
    William ♠ Thomas ♠ Peter ♠ Henry ~ Rose ♠ Alice ♠ Ivy ♠ Lowenna
    Mowesi ~ Henwyn Kernewek ~ Mebyon

I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed when I was 17, two days before Christmas lol. The two on the bottom had been pushing themselves thru, all were impacted, and hurt like heck. Before my surgery, my sisters and I watched wisdom tooth extraction videos on youtube, which actually helped calm me down, once I was able to get a sense of what would be happening. I have a hard time with anestetics and numbing medications and have small veins, so my only complication with the surgery was the IV/medication. I was extremey drowsy but fairly okay. I got home and was in a terrible mood because my pain meds wore off and it took my mom awhile to get my vicodin refilled. I ended up not using that because I had bad experiences with it. Like for one, I would be talking to my sister and randomly and instantly fall asleep. I chose to just push thru the pain. It sucked not being able to brush my teeth for a few days, bloody gauze tastes terrible, my mom said I looked like Theodore from Alvin and the Chipmunks (and it was Christmastime, so I had to pose for pictures as well). I was stubborn and determined to heal quickly, and I did. I was back to eating solids after three days, no other complications after that. I'd have to say that in all, I felt nothing during surgery (it was like blacking out, which scared me because I couldn't remember how i got into the recovery room), and when I first felt the pain it was like a 9/10..and I normally have a high pain tolerance:/ ..after I pushed thru it and got used to it, it was like a 6 or 7 for a while..much more manageable.

I would just talk to your dentist/doctor/surgeon about pain management and take it easy. It's a very common procedure (at least in the US). Don't be stubborn as I was, and push yourself too quickly, if you do get them taken out. You could risk a dry socket, which my mom said hurts like he**. Take it easy and don't stress. My sister ended up puking a few times after her procedure (due to stress and vicodin) and it really irritated her stitches and gums. Good luck!
    Currently liking:

Girls: Lydia Jeanette, Leah Christine, Aria Quinn, Anna Ruby

Boys: Asa Vincent, Peter Eliot, Anthony Nicholas, Paul Gregory, Luke Mackenize

Thinking about:
    Viva Lux, Luca Daniel, Lorenzo "Enzo", Adah Marie

This thread is seriously freaking me out, mostly because I know I will have to have all four of my partially-erupted wisdom teeth out as soon as I get a job with insurance that will cover it, and I absolutely HATE anything to do with teeth. I have panic attacks and nightmares about my teeth falling out/breaking in my mouth so the idea of being even partially awake would absolutely terrify me beyond measure.

I'm sorry to hear you're in pain, though, and I hope you get them taken care of soon I was told I'd need to have mine out before I turned 18, didn't because of health insurance issues, and then at 20 when I had insurance again was told "if they haven't come in by now, they're not going to". Less than a year later I lost my insurance for the second time only to have the first one start to come in a couple of months later. They're all fine, not impacted or anything, but it's definitely painful when they come through the gums. I could feel the swelling/pain on the outside of my face, too. I don't have any better advice than just to take tylenol or ibuprofen and try not to chew on that side. Feel better soon!
    k+m
    mid-20s. grad student at AU.
    Leona · Vivian · Florence · Beatrice · Zelda
    August · Barnaby · Winston · Atlas · Milo

I had all four of mine removed last year.

All I got out of it was this: If you DO end up having to get it removed, and they give you pain pills and nausea pills, take the nausea pill a half hour before the pain pill.
    I'm not feeling incredibly profound at the moment. Check back later.