Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I don't think it's a big deal. It's something I might do. I know a few families where this occurred and it never seemed to bother anyone.

I also know two families where multiple children have the SAME name included in their names, because it's a family name, which seems way weirder to me. My cousins (twins) have the same middle name, their father's first name. My baby's Dad has the same middle name as his brother's first name (a grandfather's, I believe). That to me is a bit stranger than one child being named for someone and the others not.
    Lillian Elizabeth 6.16.13

We intentionally use family names in the middle. However, with our second child, we used family names for the first name and the middle. She isn't too happy about not having her "own" name. Says she will change it as soon as she is an adult. But she is only 7, so maybe she will outgrow it! That's actually why we are considering trying to use two family names for baby #4, so she won't be the only one named after two family members.
    Mom to Alexander Patrick (10), Madelyn Esther (8), Genevieve Susan (3), and Theodore James (stillborn at 37 weeks on February 3, 2014). TTC #5

Boys: Everett, Sebastian, Augustus, Samuel, Abraham, Elias, Julian, Silas, Nicholas
    Girls: Bridget, Felicity, Elizabeth, Leona, Ophelia, Caroline, Aurelia, Elysia, Callista

Vote on my long list! http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9844996

I wouldn't use family names for some children and not others, but I'm just a really picky namer!
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

I used family names for one of my daughters (my 4th child) but not for my other kids. I would warn you that if you use family names it sets the expectations among other family member that they or their parents will be honored next. In retrospect I wish I had skipped it all together, because now that my daughter has my mom's name my dad would really, really like us to use his name.
    [B]Mom to Paul, Clare, Mark, Katharine, James, and Andrew[B]
    Current favs: Mary & Thomas
    Hubby's favs: Lucy and Peter

I can't imagine not giving all my children a name that honors my family traditions.
    Everyone in my family has a mn (usually 2nd) that honors the heritage of one particular great-great-great grandmother.

I also think if I gave no kid a name derived from a particular family member I would do it for all of them.
    I'm not saying that it has a be a direct honoring but I'd want something derived from someone - same meaning, same initials, variant etc.
    I don't think I'd restrict myself to people I've meet but would consider the first family member to have come to the US or be born in the US (in my case that would be silly since I'm first generation american but you know what I mean). Someone who shaped what your family considers to be "family" or etc.

If my SO and I stay together our kids (ideally if it were up to me) would have their "own" FN 1MN (to honor his family) 2MN (to honor my family) LN.
    And, obviously I'd choose them all.... <wink>
    CONSTRUCTION ZONE!!!
    maybe Endora, Dexter, Gideon & Lorelei
    Newlywed (Not TTC...yet)