Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Surprise! #3 on the way!

We have Eleanor Grace, 3, and Simon Paul, 8 months. And a very surprise #3 due in January! Of course, we're already talking names.

We like old-fashioned, "nerdy", old person names. I'm a huge English/Scottish history buff, so if a name has a historical connotation, so much the better (Eleanor of Aquitaine and Sir Simon Fraser, for example). We do have some things to eliminate, though:

No A or L names. Would prefer no E or S names, although I'm hoping to talk DH around on Stuart for a boy. Nothing in the SSA top 100. Last name is Luther.

Possible contenders right now for a girl: Josephine Anne. Margery Anne. Matilda ?. For boys: Stuart James. Malcolm James. Desmond ?. Geoffrey. (those boy names were on the short list for Simon and got rejected for one reason or another.) I love the name Arthur, but Arthur Luther just sounds ridiculous.

Thoughts?

Sorry for bad English, I am from other country

from your list I love Josephine, Malcolm & Geoffrey. I like Desmond but something about it is too similar to Simon, and Stuart I think is wonderful but to avoid double initials.....

Some other suggestions:

Wallace (William Wallace)
    Roger (Roger Bacon)
    Peter/Pierre (Peter Abelard)
    Frederick (Frederick Barbarossa)
    Robert (Robert the Bruce)
    Edward (King Edward)

Matilda (Matilda of Flanders, Empress Matilda, Matilda of Boulogne)
    Maude (good queen Maude)
    Philippa (Philippa of Hainault)
    Heloise (Héloïse d’Argenteuil)
    Alice (Alice Perrers, though maybe not the greatest namesake)
    Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

Thanks!

I really like Wallace, but don't know if I can get DH on board with that one. I would also love Edward, but DH doesn't like the Twilight connection and popularity factor. I'm trying to talk him around on Edmund, if he'll go for another E name. I do like Peter, as well.

I love Alice, but my name is Allison and that's just too matchy-matchy. DH has a personal aversion to all things Phillip-related names, so no-go on Philippa. And I LOVE Matilda!

I'm gonna keep pushing for Stuart and Josephine. Hopefully, this baby sticks and this conversation will turn into more than just day dreaming.

Thanks again!

Congratulations!
    I love Desmond!! Desmond Luther sounds great!! For combos, maybe Desmond Thomas or Desmond Bruce?

Girls
    Marcella
    Mary
    Mavis
    Harriett
    Frances
    Florence
    Winifred - Winnie
    Willa
    Edith - Edie - I know you said no E's, but Eleanor and Edith would be adorable!
    Sybil
    Clara
    Jane
    June
    Joan
    Jean

Boys
    Ned as a nn for Edward?
    Edwin
    Gilbert
    Bertram
    Theodore