Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: Which Romanian boy's name goes well with my (German) last name?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alexandru Buck

3 4.69%
  • Emil Buck

17 26.56%
  • Tristan Buck

27 42.19%
  • Corvin Buck

20 31.25%
  • Anton Buck

23 35.94%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Anton and Emil are awesome awesome. I understand the Tristan appeal, but I'm not a big fan of it. Alexandru is cool, if your in the US or somewhere else where Alexander is a pretty common name, Alexandru might have a slightly made-up feel (even though it's not, of course). Not a deal breaker, but just something to consider. Corvin is medicorely cool, not bad.
    Updated Name List- http://www.ebabynames.com/list/eff115- Vote away...

I was really excited to see this post. DH is Romanian, and we met, married, and have lived for the past 5 years in the northern part of the country. It's not often on NB that there have been posts about Romanian names!

From your list, Alexandru and Emil are more "traditional" Romanian names. I have never met a Tristan or Anton (and I work as a teacher so I encounter lots of kids). Though there is a loose connection to Romania, these names do not scream "Romanian" to me (although maybe that's what you are going for). Corvin is the name of a castle here which is a cool way to honor your wife's heritage.

Alexandru is one of the most common boys names over here, though if you are living in the US people might hear it as a mispronounced version of Alexander.

Emil is pronounced more like Eh-meal with the common nickname of Emi (Eh-me).

Other suggestions (that are traditional here in RO and would scream Eastern European to me if I heard them in the States):
    Adrian (nn Adi)
    Aurelian (nn Relu)
    Bogdan
    Ciprian (pronounced like Chipri-on)
    Claudiu
    Iulian (pronounced like You-lee-on)
    Mihai
    Nicolai (nn Nico)
    Razvan (pronounced Roz-von)
    Sebastian (nn Sebi)
    Stefan (pronounced like Stef-on)
    Valentine (pronounced with teen at the end)

GL!
    Last edited by jebaldas; May 22nd, 2013 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Forgot a suggestion
    D.S. lil Bam Bam

Quote Originally Posted by scarletrune View Post
    I live in America and happen to have known a few Anton's, all have been pronounced an-ton, not an-twan. *puzzled* It's a pretty self explanatory name to me.
    I thought the same. Antoine is spelled much differently than Anton.
    Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin

I prefer Tristan but also like Emil.
    Fav. Girls Names: Rosalie, Amalia, Isa-Lea, Marisa Zaney, Sophia Florence, Adriana Louise

Fav. Boys Names: Tristan, Theo, Quentin, Jannik, Colin, James, Bennett, Benedict

Fav. combinations: Rosalie Delia, Amalia Lucia and Jerry Benedict, Theodore James

I love both Tristan and Anton. I also think Emil would work really well.
    CONSTRUCTION ZONE!!!
    maybe Endora, Dexter, Gideon & Lorelei
    Newlywed (Not TTC...yet)