Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Were you watching Castle?!?

I love Javier with the nickname Javi.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

Aww, is this Castle we're talking about? I've always liked Xavier much more than Javier (still do), but Javier is quite international and handsome, and Javi Esposito has definitely made the name more appealing to me! I'm not sure how well Rowan and Javier work together, though--maybe you could use it as a MN, if you really love it? I adore Giovanna but probably wouldn't use it up front because I'm not even a little Italian, haha.

First of all, yes it was Castle.

I do speak Spanish, and my husband is Navajo so he is mistaken for a Latino quite frequently. So, I don't know if that makes it better or worse? I like the idea of integrating cultures and languages, but I'm not so sure everyone would *get* it if you know what I mean.

Funny related story... Rowan has been talking up a storm lately and forming new words and sounds all the time and all day today she was repeating something that sounded exactly like "Javi" but with more of a separated syllable, almost like HA-VEE. Is it a sign?! haha
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by tfzolghadr View Post
    I think that I would add a caveat: it depends on where you live. I'm from S. Texas (a few hours north of the border with Mexico), so it would be a constant bother to be explaining it to everyone. In my city, it's quite strange to be Hispanic and not be able to speak Spanish... you'd get grilled about it. To be a non-Hispanic Javier would be even worse. My maiden name was Italian, but could also be Spanish... My dad has olive skin and dark hair, and the name Mark (Marco)... we had problems all the time having to explain that we're not Hispanic and why we don't speak Spanish. So, if you're in a less Hispanic community, maybe it would be good. I am all for rule-breaking, but I also wouldn't want to be the kid having to explain it every time.

@ottilie Yes, I was stunned to see a Javad on this board (the 1st one I've met aside from my husband). DH often makes fun of my love for names, so I thought he was playing an elaborate practical joke.
    I live in North Carolina. We have a pretty decent sized Hispanic population, but it's nowhere near Texas or Arizona I'm sure. We have a few Mexican and Guatemalan friends and acquaintances, and I'm sure they would love it if we had a son named Javier. I remember expressing my love of the name Ofelia to my Mexican friend and she laughed at me. I asked her what was wrong with it, and she said something like "It's an old lady's name!"
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.