Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Nicknames for Margaret

hi, everybody! i have a new story idea, and i'm dying for some berry feedback.

the concept is this:

a girl, between the ages of ten and thirteen, receives an antique pearl pendant from her grandmother for her birthday. the necklace has been passed down through the generations of girls in the family on a particular birthday - and the girls all are named margaret (you see where the pearl comes in?). the necklace enables the wearer (named margaret, aged thirteen, i think) to visit other wearers of the necklace, so this margaret can see what her grandmother and great-great-great aunt, etc., were like at her age.

but i feel like it would get kinda monotonous having every (first) daughter named margaret and called margaret OVER AND OVER until the end of time, ya know? so i was thinking that they could all have different nicknames, because margaret has so many options! so, what are your favorites? and what time period do they remind you of?

(aside: my favorite's daisy. also, i was trying to have the years represent important events in history - what are some of the most memorable events in american history, to you?)
    ~*sophie*~

19-year old lady and a name nut! hoping for a beautiful wife and many children...

current loves:
    LADIES - callie, june, olive, posy, ada, greta, sadie, pearl, nellie, clover
    GENTS - felix, oscar, silas, gus, oliver, leo, teddy, henry, arlo, james

My favorites are Meg, Margo, Pearl, and Maggie.

A Margaret born in the 1930's or 1940's could be called Peggy or Rita. A current times Margaret could be Maggie or Pearl. Maymie was more common in the 1890's.

Other nicknames are more timeless - Meg, Margo, Greta, Mae, Maisie, etc.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

I like Meg and Margo, Gretta is one that would be fitting for an older character (great aunt). May is another one.
    “I read books when I was a kid, lots of books. Books always seemed like magic to me. They took you to the most amazing places. When I got older, I realized I couldn't find books that took me to all the places I wanted to go. To go to those places, I had to write some books myself.”
    ― Pat Murphy, The Wild Girls

"Like everyone else, I am going to die. But the words – the words live on..."
    ― J. Michael Straczynski

“I read books when I was a kid, lots of books. Books always seemed like magic to me. They took you to the most amazing places. When I got older, I realized I couldn't find books that took me to all the places I wanted to go. To go to those places, I had to write some books myself.”
    ― Pat Murphy, The Wild Girls

"Like everyone else, I am going to die. But the words – the words live on..."
    ― J. Michael Straczynski