Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Honestly I prefer it on a boy, but do some careful scrutiny of the type of community you live in and how long you'll live there. I wouldn't worry too much about his adult interactions with others as an Ashley, it's the early years that lead to loving or hating your name. If he's a self confident adult Ashley, he's not going to give a hoot what the teeny boppers say about his name, or the times when people will assume Ashley is a girl. If he had a troubled childhood, and battled his peers over his name from early on, he's going to enter adulthood a lot less sure of himself, and hating his name. Obviously you can't guarantee he'll never get teased as a child or teen, but I think most of us can get a pretty good feel for our community, large or small. Start reading the birth announcements. Get a feel for what his peers will be named, look around and explore how established gender roles are, etc.

I met a male Lindsey as an adult (after knowing half a dozen female Lindsey's) and he was the epitome of cool. I'm serious, this guy has his picture in the dictionary by the word "cool". I doubt he got teased a day in his life. Self confident, creative, open minded and tolerant, and very well adjusted.

I'm also done to death with the train of thought that boys with effeminate names will struggle all their lives, but girls with masculine names will succeed; girls "stealing" the boys names, and the names then becoming tainted and unusable by boys because :shockgasphorror: people will think he's a girl! People, this is coming from us, not from our children. Yes, if we continue to follow these antiquated beliefs about gender roles, they will continue. If we stop passing on this nonsense, eventually the tide will change. Not for our generation, maybe not even our children's generation. But their children? Yes. They may just live in a much more tolerant world than we do.
    Considering...
    Annika, Artemis, Bianca, Catherine, Evadne, Felicity, Gwendolen, Isabeau, Isadora, Juniper,
    Lorelei, Lyra, Octavia, Pandora, Petra, Sunniva, Thisbe, Thora

●●● ●●● ●●●
    Caspian, Conrad, Damian, Desmond, Evander, Everett, Ezra, Griffin, Gwydion, Malachi,
    Peregrine, Phineas, Theodore

click for my name lists
    our furbabies: Sebastian and Oleander

I don't really prefer it for either gender and I would quite like to see some more little boy Ashleys' running around the supermarket!

I prefer Ashley on a boy but I'd never use it because I just don't care for it.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

I love the name Ashley on a boy. It's just kind of meh on a girl, but it's so rare to hear it on a boy that it's refreshing. I was born when Jessica and Ashley were the top two names for girls so I've known several dozen girl Ashleys throughout my life, but only one boy named Ashley. His brother was named Lindsey. And they were both cool, masculine guys who i can't picture having been bullied or caring about bullies.

I hate the idea that if a name has been used on a girl it's suddenly too "tainted" to be used on a boy again. That's a common belief in the area where i live (although weirdly the people complaining about lack of boy names aren't exactly opposed to naming their girls a boy name, which is weird. They use boy names on girls and then complain that there are no boy names left)...it's become common here for parents to just name their boys the most masculine word they can think up. I legitimately know of little boys named things like Rage, Riot, Chaos (and alternate spellings like Rayge/Rayj, Ryatt, Kaos). In my opinion, you might as well name the kid Registered Sex-Offender because you clearly don't care about what their name says about them to other people so long as it isn't feminine...

I wouldn't use Ashley myself because it doesn't quite fit my style (and having two boys in one family named Jess and Ashley might be a bit much) but I'd love to see it used more for boys.
    I hope to be a mom one day. For now I enjoy being a name lover.

My apologies for any typos; i post from my mobile phone.

Hmm... tough question. First off, to express my own life's experience of the name, I should say I've never known a male Ashley and I've known at least a couple dozen females. However, knowing it's history as a male name, I think it could definitely still work as a boy's name, but it may not work with every personality type. Many non-name nerds (in the US at least) will not know it has roots as a male name (and everyone is familiar with it as a female name, since it was even the #1 most common girls name for awhile). If a boy is shy and overly self-conscious, there is potential he'll feel self-conscious and uncomfortable with his name, but if he is confident and takes ownership of his name it could work well. I personally wouldn't use it, but wouldn't look down on someone else using it.
    I think Cassidy would make a cooler name to take back from the girls' side. That is a cool name.
    Updated Name List- http://www.ebabynames.com/list/eff115- Vote away...