• Ariana

18 20.22%
  • Imogen

25 28.09%
  • Eloise

37 41.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Ariana/Arianna is definitely my least favorite (and when you combine the two spellings it's more popular that #14 Addison, if that means anything to you).

My vote goes to Imogen. I don't know where you're from, but in the U.S. you'd have some pronunciation problems. Imogen is unusual here - most people who aren't name nerds haven't heard of it and many who have would think of it as exclusively British - but if you can get past those issues, it's a quirky yet classic name.

The charming Eloise is my second pick.

Gretal - how would Americans pronounce it, a few people on here have said the same to this name? I'm English but now live in Australia with my Australian husband. I only know of the one way of pronouncing the name. I find international variations of names fascinating.

Thanks for your opinions also

Quote Originally Posted by waiting77 View Post
    Gretal - how would Americans pronounce it, a few people on here have said the same to this name? I'm English but now live in Australia with my Australian husband. I only know of the one way of pronouncing the name. I find international variations of names fascinating.

Thanks for your opinions also
    Hm, I don't know how most American would pronounce except that some would struggle at first encounter. Initially when I looked at it, I thought it was EEM-oh-jen. I'm sure some would think the 'I' was long (as in 'nice', 'kite') and others that the 'g' was hard (as in 'go').
    And there might be confusion over where the stress/emphasis goes.

Oh I see, I've never really thought of other ways to pronounce. Thanks for sharing!