Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Am I crazy?

Quote Originally Posted by lizzard21 View Post
    Troy
    Ryder - Flynn Ryder (Tangled)
    Sawyer - Tom Sawyer (by Mark Twain)
    Casper - the ghost
    Caspian - Prince Caspian (a Chronicles of Narnia movie)
    Cullen - Twilight
    Hudson - the Hudson river
    Atticus - Atticus Finch (To Kill a Mockingbird)
    Scarlett - Gone with the wind, the Scarlett Letter (Nathaniel Hawthorne)
    Cosette - Les Miserables
    Yes to the above ones. Though for Troy I think of the character from 'Community' and for Sawyer my secondary reaction (after Tom Sawyer) is Sawyer from 'Lost'.

Cullen and Cosette are the one's I'd say you couldn't use because of their associations. Cullen is ridiculously Twilight, there's no avoiding that even though it was a surname before the god-awful books came out. And Victor Hugo made up Cosette (and others). It literally means 'little thing' and was just a nickname for the character Euphrasie.
    Last edited by renrose; May 21st, 2013 at 12:07 PM.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

This is what I think of (that was fun!). But honestly, if you love the name, I wouldn't let that deter you only because there are other ones out there. There will always be someone else (or a character) with that name.

Troy - No associations
    Toby - Toby (The Office), Tobey Maguire, Tobias (Arrested Development)
    Ryder - Flynn Ryder (Tangled) (I love Disney movies!!! Although, I did not immediately think of Flynn Ryder)
    Sawyer - Sawyer (Lost)
    Casper - Yes, Casper the Friendly Ghost
    Adam - Adam Sandler
    Caspian - The Caspian Sea
    Everett - No association
    Cullen - Twilight
    Hudson - Rock Hudson
    Atticus - Atticus Finch (To Kill a Mockingbird)
    Carter - No association

Charlotte - Charlotte's Web
    Scarlett - Scarlett Johansson
    Cosette - No association

Troy - Troy Bolton (High School Musical) --> No, it makes me think of Troy the city, etc.
    Toby - Toby Ziegler (West Wing) --> I don't watch the West Wing, but it makes me think of Tobey Maguire
    Ryder - Flynn Ryder (Tangled) --> yep
    Sawyer - Tom Sawyer (by Mark Twain) --> yep or that guy from Lost?
    Casper - the ghost --> yep
    Adam - the Addams family --> no, this is my brother's middle name though
    Caspian - Prince Caspian (a Chronicles of Narnia movie) --> now that you say it..
    Everett - Mt. Everest --> no I don't think of that
    Cullen - Twilight --> yes, but I still like it
    Hudson - the Hudson river --> no I think of Jennifer Hudson
    Atticus - Atticus Finch (To Kill a Mockingbird) --> no but now that you say it...
    Carter - US president Jimmy Carter --> no I think of Jay Z hahaha

Charlotte - "The Charlotte" (a boat in National Treasure) --> I like this name (obviously) but if it made me think of anything it would be the band good charlotte
    Scarlett - Gone with the wind, the Scarlett Letter (Nathaniel Hawthorne) --> yes but I still like it
    Cosette - Les Miserables --> yes, but not a bad thing necessarily
    Girls: Matilda ~ Cordelia ~ Elena ~ Violet ~ Emilia ~ Catherine ~ Charlotte ~ Aurelia ~ Elaine ~ Lila

Boys: Elijah ~ Felix ~ Damon ~ Titus ~ Levi ~ Grayson ~ Declan ~ Dalton ~ Milo

Casper, Cullen, Atticus & Cosette are the only ones that I would immediately associate. I think it's probably because these names aren't used a lot so people stick with the one example they have? Like Ben Franklin is a famous Benjamin but you don't automatically think of him because Benjamin is a very common name. But a name like Cosette is barely seen (I've never seen it anywhere but Les Mis, actually) so when you do, you associate it with that one reference. That being said, I don't think any of these associations should stop you from using a name. None of the associations are bad & associations fade with time anyway!
    Felicity ~ Calista ~ Claudia ~ Beatrice "Betty" ~ Carlotta ~ Millie ~ Cora ~ Audrey ~ Violet

Calvin ~ Jude ~ Miles ~ Oliver ~ Roscoe ~ Benjamin ~ Leo ~ Adrian ~ Isaac ~ Colin

Please rate my namelist! http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9831814

Troy - Great name, I don't think most people will think of the HSM reference right away if at all.
    Toby - Actually the first thing I think of when I hear this name is either Toby Kennish (a character from "Switched at Birth") or Tobey Maguire.
    Ryder - See Troy
    Sawyer - I know a little boy with this name, so he's always the first thing I think of when I hear it.
    Casper - To me at least, the reference with this name is pretty strong, which could be good or bad, depending upon your viewpoint. WDYT of Jasper?
    Adam - I know a few guys with this name, and I always think of them first.
    Caspian - Love this one! The Caspian sea is also a reference: and I don't think that Narnia movie will come to mind for most people.
    Everett - Nice name, and it's different enough from Everest that there won't really be an association.
    Cullen - Really cool, though I think the Twilight connection might be a little strong.
    Hudson - I always think of Jennifer or Kate Hudson when I hear this, not necessarily the river.
    Atticus - Atticus Finch (To Kill a Mockingbird): this is a pretty strong connection, I think everyone will think of this one.
    Carter - I think of either the former president or Aaron Carter.

Charlotte - My first thought is; Charlotte York (Sex and the City)
    Scarlett - Scarlett Johansson
    Cosette - Les Miserables; Oh I just love this one! The Les Mis reference is pretty strong, but it's wonderful in my opinion!
    Last edited by amelieamour; May 25th, 2013 at 02:25 AM.
    Twenty-something musician, yogini and name lover who dreams of strolling the boulevards of Paris by day and writing songs by night.

Mes prénoms préfères;

Elodie ~ Sylvie ~ Vivienne ~ Giovanna ~ Beatrice ~ Seraphina ~ Marguerite ~ Edith ~ Cosette ~ Isadora ~

Alexander ~ Marcel ~ Elias ~ Nicholas ~ James ~ Henry ~ Rowan ~ Django ~ Kai ~ Tristan ~ Luca