Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Malcolm Johnson?

We are expecting boy/girl twins in a few months and are having a very hard time coming up with a name for the boy. Part of the problem is our last name is Johnson so we don't want the first name to be anything too common. My husband's current favorite is Malcolm. I really like the name too but I'm wondering if it goes well with our last name. Is it too rhyme-y? I'm starting to have second thoughts because my mom and sister don't like it, although they like the possible nickname Mac.

The other issue is that our current favorite girl's name is Evelyn and that really does rhyme with Johnson. When you put the two names together it's just so many syllables! (We may reconsider that name too but I can post a thread in a different forum).

We were thinking that the middle name would be Edwin, for my grandfather, so that's something to throw in the mix as well. I haven't really considered Edwin as a first name just because I don't necessarily like the nicknames Ed or Eddie. Other family names we could use as middle names are Leo or Cuthbert. Other names I like include:

Finn
    Max/well
    Zachary (Zach)
    Lucas/Luke
    Bennett
    Brooks (but maybe the boy's name needs to be more "masculine" since he's a boy/girl twin?)
    Theodore (Theo)
    Charles
    Jasper (but is Jasper Johnson too much like Jasper Johns?)
    Louis
    Gordon
    Frederick
    Leo
    Oscar
    Vincent
    Samuel (Sam)

Any help and advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

I have a very similar surname, so I can relate to the frustration with lots of names ending with the "on/en/in" sound and being too rhymey with your surname. I absolutely love Samuel, and Oscar is also nice.

Malcolm and Evelyn are both lovely and sound just fine to me.
    One of the benefits of a common surname like Johnson is that it doesn't feel rhymey to me unless you name the kid Bronson Johnson or something.

Malcolm's one of my favorites, because of the nicknames Mal and Mac.
    I also like Theodore, Charles, Frederick and Samuel.

Have you thought about writing to Swistle? swistle.com/babynames She could do a poll for you too.

Thanks, brigid16. I'd never heard of Swistle. What a cool service she provides! I think I'll try that.

I love Evelyn! My favs from your list are:

Bennett
    Max
    Finn
    Gordon
    Vincent
    Leo.