Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Avalon, Aveline, Avangeline, and so on... Help!

Hello everyone, this is my first post, and I'm hopeing you all can help me out with a dilemma I'm having involving the name of my future daughter...
    Ava is a family name on both mine, and my husbands side, and definitely a name we want to honor.
    The big BUT we are having, is that the popularity really is a turn off for us.
    We know that we want Ava to be a nick-name, and both grandmothers have made it clear that she will be an Ava to them, but my husband and I really want a name that won't be one of five in a classroom.
    Here is what we've come up with, and we really like them all, so your opinions will really weigh heavy in our decision...

Avalon
    Aveline/Avaline- what are your preferable pronunciations?... also Avaleen is cute too.
    Avangeline/Evangeline

And, being irish myself, Aoife is a favorite I'm also considering... I also don't mind a double first name, so suggestions are definitely welcome for that!

Thanks for your help! Please opinionize and suggest away!

I think Aoife is lovely, but I really don't see how you'd get from EE-fah to AY-vah? If she just went by the sound of Ava, but the spelling of Aoife, I think people who know how Aoife is pronounced would be confused, and those who don't will go around thinking Aoife is pronounced like Ava. I think Aoife's lovely, but if she's going to go by Ava I don't think it's a very realistic option, if that makes sense--plus, Aoife and Ava are just too close. Why not Aoibhe if you want the Irish form? Much less known (although I think it'd be more of a headache than you or your daughter wants) but it'd nicely honor Irish heritage.

I adore Evangeline, but I think it's hard to get Ava from it, and I wouldn't misspell Evangeline just to get to Ava. I feel like I shouldn't go near Avalon, since the Arthurian legend was never something I really got into--I love literature and literary names, but I feel like in most cases you should have at least some tie to the name.

That leaves Aveline (I say ah-veh-leen) for me, which I think is lovely. It's quite obscure and still gives you Ava quite easily. My best friend had a daughter named Avelaine, too, which I think is just lovely, and even more obscure. Her daughter goes by Lainey if a nn at all, but I think Ava is just as lovely (if not moreso). There's also the Hebrew Eliava, which I think is hauntingly beautiful.

Good luck!
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George

Avalon is super cute and spunky.
    I love Aveline. I wouldn't change the spelling of it. The French pronunciation is Av - as in avenue - uh leen, so it isn't like Ava at all.
    Then again, neither is Avalon...
    Avangeline is just awful, sorry.
    Names you might like: Avonlea, Aviana, Avalena, Avanna, Avalyn.
    I know a Evalena - ev as in Evan, not like Eve. So I think Avalena (Ava-leen-ah) could totally work.
    Personally, if her nickname is going to be Ava, I would go with Aviana.

Aveline is my favourite of the three (it a French name so I pronounce it "av-uh-LEEN"). Avalon comes in a distant second place (this isn't pronounced the same as Ava either). I don't like the misspelling Avangeline for the gorgeous Evangeline at all. I love Aoife but it has a different pronunciation than Ava.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Definitely Aveline for me. I love Evangeline but seriously dislike Avangeline, sorry! Avalon is cute too.

ps: I second Avonlea and Avalyn.
    Call me Cynthia, Angie, or Luna. 22. Name nerd.

Clemency | Clementine | Juliette | Helena | Isabelle | Annabelle | Evangeline | Seraphina | Rosalind | Violetta
    Vanessa | Audrey | Ariadne | Callista | Belphoebe | Bellatrix | Lyra | Valencia | Valentina | Laetitia | Cytherea
    Gavriel | Hermes | Flynn | James | Orion | Alexander | Caspian | Peregrine | Marius | Altair
    Callum | Cadmus | Jason | Perseus | Theseus | Oliver | Éomund | Luca | Amias