Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Avalon, Aveline, Avangeline, and so on... Help!

Hello everyone, this is my first post, and I'm hopeing you all can help me out with a dilemma I'm having involving the name of my future daughter...
    Ava is a family name on both mine, and my husbands side, and definitely a name we want to honor.
    The big BUT we are having, is that the popularity really is a turn off for us.
    We know that we want Ava to be a nick-name, and both grandmothers have made it clear that she will be an Ava to them, but my husband and I really want a name that won't be one of five in a classroom.
    Here is what we've come up with, and we really like them all, so your opinions will really weigh heavy in our decision...

Avalon
    Aveline/Avaline- what are your preferable pronunciations?... also Avaleen is cute too.
    Avangeline/Evangeline

And, being irish myself, Aoife is a favorite I'm also considering... I also don't mind a double first name, so suggestions are definitely welcome for that!

Thanks for your help! Please opinionize and suggest away!

I think Aoife is lovely, but I really don't see how you'd get from EE-fah to AY-vah? If she just went by the sound of Ava, but the spelling of Aoife, I think people who know how Aoife is pronounced would be confused, and those who don't will go around thinking Aoife is pronounced like Ava. I think Aoife's lovely, but if she's going to go by Ava I don't think it's a very realistic option, if that makes sense--plus, Aoife and Ava are just too close. Why not Aoibhe if you want the Irish form? Much less known (although I think it'd be more of a headache than you or your daughter wants) but it'd nicely honor Irish heritage.

I adore Evangeline, but I think it's hard to get Ava from it, and I wouldn't misspell Evangeline just to get to Ava. I feel like I shouldn't go near Avalon, since the Arthurian legend was never something I really got into--I love literature and literary names, but I feel like in most cases you should have at least some tie to the name.

That leaves Aveline (I say ah-veh-leen) for me, which I think is lovely. It's quite obscure and still gives you Ava quite easily. My best friend had a daughter named Avelaine, too, which I think is just lovely, and even more obscure. Her daughter goes by Lainey if a nn at all, but I think Ava is just as lovely (if not moreso). There's also the Hebrew Eliava, which I think is hauntingly beautiful.

Good luck!
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd & aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace + Caleb Elias Joseph + Arianne Eleanor Daisy + Everett Joshua Charles + Olivia Wren Camille
    Grant Frédéric Conrad + Violet Emilia Mary + Casper Nathaniel Eden + Grace Odilia Lily + Samuel Gaspard John

I've recently started a new story--feel free to come along with me for the journey! havengermany.blogspot.com
    Chapter 1 is up! And an author's note! (Alas, don't get too excited.)

Avalon is super cute and spunky.
    I love Aveline. I wouldn't change the spelling of it. The French pronunciation is Av - as in avenue - uh leen, so it isn't like Ava at all.
    Then again, neither is Avalon...
    Avangeline is just awful, sorry.
    Names you might like: Avonlea, Aviana, Avalena, Avanna, Avalyn.
    I know a Evalena - ev as in Evan, not like Eve. So I think Avalena (Ava-leen-ah) could totally work.
    Personally, if her nickname is going to be Ava, I would go with Aviana.

Aveline is my favourite of the three (it a French name so I pronounce it "av-uh-LEEN"). Avalon comes in a distant second place (this isn't pronounced the same as Ava either). I don't like the misspelling Avangeline for the gorgeous Evangeline at all. I love Aoife but it has a different pronunciation than Ava.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Definitely Aveline for me. I love Evangeline but seriously dislike Avangeline, sorry! Avalon is cute too.

ps: I second Avonlea and Avalyn.
    Cynthia/Luna
    twenty-something name nerd. infj

Seraphina Juliette Liv. Evangeline Laetitia Odette. Catalina Ariadne. Valentina Bellatrix Yvaine
    Violetta Catherine Lenore. Isabelle Faustina Clare. Valencia Lyra Amoret. Rosalind Belphoebe
    Clementine Audrey Rowena. Annabelle Helena Lúthien. Vanessa Rose Aphrodite

Peregrine Cedric. Gavriel Alexander Callum. James Luca Auberon. Caspian Felix
    Perseus Arthur Flynn. Cassius Jason Amadeus. Damien Alexei Orion