Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do I start?

Exclamation How do I start?

I am expecting! We decided to try and, based on the experience of friends, were prepared to wait. Apparently, the baby wasn't. I was ok until a friend asked about names.

So, where do I start. I have read lists, forums and web articles. I will download some books soon, I guess.

Here is what I do know:

We would like to incorporate my husband's father's name, William, since he passed when my husband was young. We are not sure we want to use William though. I would like to honor my grandmother, MaryAnn some how.

My friends have Maddies (2), Hayley, Ryan, Aiden, Leah and Sarah - I think they are all boring! Another friend is expecting her first and she sent me here. She is thinking of using Hazel as a name for her bump.

If I had to choose from those names, I think I would choose Hazel. I know I babbling on but I would love some guidelines, suggestions or even someone to do this for me!.

William is a nice classic boy name, but Liam could work if you want something more current/modern. I really like Wilhelmina for a girl, if you're daring. I think Hazel is a bit daring so maybe Wilhelmina will be your style. Willow & Willa come to mind as well.

MaryAnn could be broken down into Mary names (Marielle, Marina, Maren, Marisol, ect) and Ann names (Anna, Anja, Anya, Anais, Annabel, ect)

I also think Mary or Ann are lovely choices on their own. Personally I like Mary Ann or Mary Anne, but not the compound version.

I think just based off of these family names you have a lot to work with. If I were you I would look up versions of William, Mary & Ann in various languages and such.

Maren practically smushes Mary & Ann. Maybe that would be a good middle?

Sorry I am only focusing on girl names, I am hopeless with boy names!

Congratulations and Welcome to Nameberry.

There are a lot of ways you can start making a list. Anything from literally reading a name book to reading through posts, looking at the names of your favorite artists and friends, digging through your family tree, etc.

I'd start off with figuring out who you and your husband are - what's your style like? What do you want the name for your child to embody? What's is important for you to transmit to your child? This name quiz is awesome: http://www.namenerds.com/uucn/namequiz.html. You guys should take it separately and see where you land. (I think consensus here is that it's fairly accurate and really helpful).

Also check out behindthename.com:
    It could be a great resource to find names that are variants of family names you want to honor. Like William for example where it lists under "Related Names":
    DIMINUTIVES: Bill, Billie, Billy, Liam, Wil, Will, Willie, Willy
    FEMININE FORM: Willa
    OTHER LANGUAGES: Wilhelm, Willahelm (Ancient Germanic), Gwilherm (Breton), Guillem (Catalan), Vilim, Vilko (Croatian), Vilém (Czech), Vilhelm (Danish), Willem, Jelle, Pim, Wil, Willy, Wim (Dutch), Vilhelmo, Vilĉjo (Esperanto), Villem (Estonian), Vilhelmi, Viljami, Vilho, Viljo, Ville (Finnish), Guillaume (French), Wilhelm, Willi, Willy, Wim (German), Vilhelm, Vilmos, Vili (Hungarian), Vilhjálmur (Icelandic), Uilliam, Liam, Uilleag, Ulick (Irish), Guglielmo (Italian), Vilhelms, Vilis (Latvian), Wöllem, Wullem, Wum (Limburgish), Vilhelmas (Lithuanian), Illiam (Manx), Wiremu (Maori), Wilkin, Wilky, Wilmot (Medieval English), Vilhelm (Norwegian), Wilhelm (Polish), Guilherme (Portuguese), Uilleam (Scottish), Viliam (Slovak), Viljem, Vili, Vilko (Slovene), Guillermo (Spanish), Vilhelm, Ville (Swedish), Gwilym, Gwil, Gwilim, Gwillym (Welsh)

Once you've figured out what my style is I'd probably do some internet searches and see what people with a similar style like: You can always write down name you like (even if they aren't perfect) and come back for suggestions. We LOVE giving suggestion.

Good luck, and remember to have fun. Don't stress out too much. Your kid doesn't have to be another Hayley, Ryan or Sarah if you don't want it to be.
    Aurelia - Endora - Illyria - Lorelei - Merida - Ofelia - Penrose - Tabitha - Viola - Zenobia
    Alaric - Anton - Cedric - Dexter - Erich - Felix - Hector - Hendrik - Leonidas - Victor
    Engaged to the best Man in the World. (God-mama to Lawrence, a little bundle of sunshine).

Liam would be a lovely way to honor your husband's father and still sounding quite nice and a bit less dated and also for a girl's name if you want to honor your mother you could use Anne or Marie as a middle name

Thanks for the starting tips. Can't wait to share with my husband.

taz The ideas in your post made me think of Mary and Ann as separate names. I have seen Mae on several posts and I like it. Annie, as a nn, is cute and your post gave me some interesting Mary and Ann ideas.

lexiem Will definitely go to the namenerds quiz but the list you gave me was incredible. I saw the name Wim and my heart fluttered. I could see us using William as a first name and Wim as a nickname. The first time William seems possible since our last name begins with the letter L and Bill or Will are not happening for me.

So I like William (nn Wim) for a boy and some form of Ann or Mary for a girl. I'll be back after making a list for input. I've seen so many interesting and exciting names browsing, this could be dangerous. Juliet and Louisa are so enchanting and Graham and Everett seems to be the right kind of boys names. Wish me luck.