Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I like Avenley, but I am not sure if I love the name because I can't picture how it sounds.
    Last edited by theclocktowerofjoy; May 20th, 2013 at 01:15 PM.
    Sorry for bad English, I am from other country

I know a little Aveniel, she is named after her grandmother. It's similar to Avenley?
    Sara Beth Cook wife to Ross Allen Cook 03.11.06
    Mama to Lilla Clare 12.05.09 and Vivienne Grace 03.16.12
    Sylvie | Rosalie | Cecily | Eleanor | Rufus | Jasper | Graham

I think most people are familiar enough with the story, either through the books or the PBS versions of the movie they do during telethons that they'd know Avonlea is pronounced Ave-un-lee.
    I hope to be a mom one day. For now I enjoy being a name lover.

My apologies for any typos; i post from my mobile phone.

I would pronounce Avenley as Ayy-ven-lee, so with a long A sound for sure, like in Avery.

It looks incompletely to me, like someone forgot the first letter. I'd imagine she'd get a lot of "Avery?" "Heavenly?" comments, and no one would know how to spell the name. I'd also anticipate a lot of mispronunciations if you want a short A sound, but that doesn't really change the name so that wouldn't bother me too much, once people here her or you say the name, they'll catch on, and having strangers pronounce it with a long A isn't too drastically "off".

Aside from those issues, the name is really NMS at all, but I don't think it's absolutely horrible.
    Lillian Elizabeth 6.16.13

I know a little Avonlea! Her mother is a huge Anne of Green Gables fan. It's nms, but is a beautiful name. I think it's as legitimate as any other place name or literature influenced name, especially if it has special meaning to the parents.