Names Searched Right Now:

Threaded View

Question Somewhere between distinctively American & uniquely Latin

Hi everyone! I've lurked here a while, and love reading allow the name suggestions you give. My husband and I have been deadlocked without a name for two months now. We have one daughter, Tegan, who was named within a week of finding her gender. I had it on my short list due to my love of Canadian indie rock, and my husband had it for the old Doctor Who companion since he grew up watching the old series. It fits her perfectly. However, we haven't been so lucky with our upcoming son's name.

I would like a name that would really grow well into something distinguished. A little preppy is fine by me. I want it to not be too popular, but still on the top 1000. No made up names here. We're both teachers, so many names are often ruined for us by associations with students. Also, being a teacher, we want the child to be the only student in class with the name (hopefully).

My husband is on a totally different wavelength. He's a Latin teacher, who enjoys historical reference and significance (which I as a history major can appreciate). He's pulling names right out of his textbooks though, and his other major influence this time around is a newfound appreciation for astronomy.

Names on my short list include:
    Atticus: I feel like this is the perfect compromise name for us. It's very distinguished, but with Latin roots and a strong American influence as well. It even feels a bit Southern, and I really appreciate the references to the character in TKAM and his historical namesake. Even using Tiki as a nickname works in favor my husband as he's originally from Hawaii. He's still not sold because it doesn't wow him.
    Rory: This is my number one this time around. I'd love to have the sibset both with the Doctor Who reference for nerd points, but it has that preppy but distinctive feel. It feels too fratty for him.
    Edwin: My favorite from the first pregnancy. I love the NN Win for the indie rock reference, and it's just awesome. It's little formal without the nickname, which I like, but my husband doesn't.
    Julian & Vincent: These are concessions to my husband that I thought he'd like, but he's not interested. These are names I could live with, but I'm not crazy about.

Names on my husband's short list:
    Ezra: He thinks it sounds cool (I'll give him that) and he like Ezra Pound. Since we're both atheists, I have a hard time getting behind a strong Biblical name. The references to marital cleansing particularly bother me.
    Orion: I'm surprised it's on the top 1000 now, but it still seems a little out there to me.
    Rigel: The brightest star in Orion. Now he's really just making up names. It means foot.
    Kaeso: NN Kai, a very Latin name. It's so old, it feels made up to me now.
    Augustus: Coming back into fashion now, but I really don't like the name aesthetically or NN Gus.

Our last name is one syllable and rhymes with cranks.

I'd love to hear some name choices that might interest either of us, or help us meet in the middle! Thanks so much in advance.