• Sullivan Jackson Russell

5 20.83%
  • Sullivan John Russell

13 54.17%
  • Sullivan William Russell

2 8.33%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Middle name help

We have decided on the name Sullivan. Last name Russell. We need middle name help. My maiden name is Jackson. 2 great grandpas named Jack. We would like to use a family name of some sort. Do these work?
    Sullivan Jackson Russell (my maiden)
    Sullivan Jack Russell (I think of the dog. great grandpas' nick names)
    Sullivan John Russell (both grandpas' real name John went by Jack)
    Sullivan William Russell ( husbands middle)

I was going to say Sullivan Jack until I made the dog connection. I would definitely go with Sullivan John.

I voted for Sullivan Jackson because I like that it would honor your maiden name and also the 2 Jack's, but then when I say it more I'm not as big of a fan of the flow. I think Sullivan John flows more nicely together. So I guess I'd go between those two depending on how much you care about the sound vs. meaning.

Sullivan William would work okay, but seems like you are leaning more toward wanting to honor the great grandpas.

I would avoid Sullivan Jack Russell because it also makes me think of the dog.

I think the one syllable choices flow a lot better. Sullivan Jack and Sullivan John both sound good (the double -n ending with Sullivan John works a little less than Sullivan Jack to me). Sullivan William Russell doesn't flow together well at all, so I'd cut that one. Sullivan Jackson doesn't work as well as a one syllable choices (plus it's also got the double -n ending, which makes the flow a little strange), but it does have a couple of connections of meaning which is cool.
    Updated Name List- http://www.ebabynames.com/list/eff115- Vote away...

Honestly, I like Sullivan Jack the best (so adorable!) and I love the family connection. However, my mind goes straight to Jack Russell terriers. I don't know if that's a good or bad connection to you, but it's rather strong for me. I do like Sullivan John, though, and I really love Sullivan and William paired together. Jackson isn't usually my cup of tea--but I'd overlook that for family meaning, but it doesn't sound that great with Sullivan, either, so I'd opt for Sullivan Jack, Sullivan John, or, lastly, Sullivan William (@javad's right--the flow's not amazing) above Sullivan Jackson.

Good luck!
    Lise
    twenty-something name lover dreaming of adoption.

Isabelle | Arianne | Olivia | Violet | Catherine | Emmeline | Lillian | Charlotte | Eleni | Anne-Sophie | Tess | Eva | Winter | Hazel
    Caleb | Everett | Jack | Avery | Zane | Samuel | Grant | Declan | Brody | Bailey | Addison | Leo | Grayson

"Ma patrie, c’est la langue française." - Albert Camus