Names Searched Right Now:
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Delilah is far more vulgar than Orchid to me. Orchid is sometimes used as a bit of a euphamism (like "her flower" iykwim) but Delilah has at least as much negative connotation.

I also don't see the problem with obviously flowery? We're really saying its more problematic to be named Violet/Lily/Marguerite than Delilah/Jezebel?

Honestly Orchid is not my favourite flower name by like thirty flowers I can think of (including Calanthe... which is a kind of orchid...) but I'd still rank it WELL over Delilah, which I can't stand, even though Lila or Leila would be ok.

I do think Aurora Orchid flows better than Orchid Aurora.

I'm also really fond of Opal, which isn't a flower but is a nature name Orchid is reminiscent of, to me.

Thank you stripedsocks, its hard finding the name. Some people will like it while others will not. Just like how Holly named her baby Rainbow. Majority of people think that is insane but her and her significant other love it. Same as Jaime Oliver's children's names like Buddy Bear, Petal Blossom Rainbow etc. Its all about preference and Orchid to me is no where near being out there like that.

I am eh about Opal. And I am not sure if I like Aurora Orchid. Vs Orchid Aurora.

What are other name suggestions that have the same punch as Orchid Aurora?
    TTC #1
    Hoping to have a little Ragazzo or Ragazza soon.

It's up to you and your partner to decide how much the meaning matters to you! I guess the best test is "would I like this name for myself?" If you don't thing the meaning is a big deal and don't think future daughter will either,why not use it? I wouldn't say the meaning is vulgar, but it's...unpleasantly anatomical. I still love the sound!

Have you considered Opal? It is same number of syllables, has that gorgeous "o" in the front, is a beautiful gem, is unusual, and has the same sort of sweet-but-spunky and slightly exotic feel of Orchid. Opal Aurora would be lovely. A few more that come to mind after seeing your top choices: Lilac, Kestrel, Aurelia, Luna, Lavender, Magnolia, Peridot, Lark (I think any of these would go well with Delilah and/or Orchid)

A vulgar meaning is just something to put into consideration so you have a well-balanced look at the name. It would put some people off the name, and it wouldn't bother others. It's just being put out there for you to think about now, because anyone with a shred of tact will not say, "Oh what a sweet baby, you know her name means testicle right?" Haha. But the Nameberry community is giving you a heads up, that you do have the *potential* of meeting that person, and you wouldn't want to be blindsided by that.

The combo Orchid Aurora is extremely heavy on the OR sound. ORchid ah-rOR-uh. In some accents, it may even be pronounced ORchid OR-OR-ruh or OR-OR-rur. I like repeating sounds, but this combo repeats the same sound too much for my taste. But, I agree with pp that the opinion of a stranger out in cyberspace is far less important than the opinion of the child's father.

If you're looking for "sophisticated yet exotic...classy yet a punch of edge," Orchid really doesn't do that for me. I can think of several other flower names that would, though -- Azalea, Chrysanthe, Lilac, Dianthus, and Dahlia to start. In fact, Dahlia would be much more dramatic than Delilah, way uncommon, and super cool. Iris is exotic and classy, though less edgy. Viola would fit the bill; it's a Shakespearean name as well as a flower, and get you that long O sound you seem to like. How about Magnolia? That one seems perfect for a sophisticated, exotic, classy and a punch of edge name, with a long O sound -- plus lots of nickname potential if you're into nicknames.

You could also consider other names with a long O sound - Fiona, Flora, Cora, Corinne, Coralie, Abreona, Amory, Annorah, Azorah, Caledonia, Cleo, there are lots more I just don't have time to look up right now. Check out Nameberry's Super Search at the upper left corner and look for names that contain O and you'll find more.

Hope this is helpful! Whatever you decide, congrats for finding middle-ground-agreement! It always takes months of negotiations with my husband!
    Last edited by saracita00; May 19th, 2013 at 09:52 PM.

I don't have a particular style or not sure if I would choose another flower name. I just like different and unique.

I personally can picture telling people my baby's name is Orchid. Even when she is a young child I can picture that as well as an adult. I know a person named Corbett which is different and I know a Spring too. Granite their names do not come from a Greek term meaning something like testicle but I just have no fallen in love with any other names. So now I kind of feel stuck vs. positive about the name... :/
    TTC #1
    Hoping to have a little Ragazzo or Ragazza soon.