Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Egg Donation

Egg Donation

Hey -

A friend at work mentioned she was donating eggs this summer at a well-reputable fertility clinic in the area.
    It's something I have considered in the past (though never mentioned it to my family or SO) and was wondering if any of you have had
    experiences donating in the past. I'm one of those people who needs to make up my own mind like 95% of the way before asking/talking
    to close family and friends. Of course my SO would have a big say in whether or not I'd donate.

If you've donated...
    ...what was it like? How did it impact your daily life? How do you feel about it now? (Are you happy about your donation? Are you sad you'll never meet your potential biological children?)

If you've used an egg donor in the past...
    ...what did you look for when choosing an egg donor? What things turned you off? (I'm not looking to fudge papers I'm just curious if my grandmothers mental illness coupled with my families history of highly educated individuals with learning disabilities and old age diabetes would automatically make my eggs less desirable. <and now I feel ridiculous for asking>).

If you haven't donated or used an egg donor...
    ...would you consider donating? Why? or Why not? What would be your personal concerns?

I know this is a really personal topic, we talk about IVF and other conceiving issues so I hope this is okay as well.
    I really appreciate your honestly and thoughts. Thanks!
    MAJOR CONSTRUCTION ZONE
    newlywed!!! (not trying...yet)

Interesting topic. I don't have any personal experience with this, so I'll answer hypothetically.

No, I don't think I would voluntarily donate my eggs. However, if I ever used IVF, I would donate unneeded embryos to an infertile couple. I suppose if someone came to me asking for a donor egg, I would consider it, but its not something I would go out and do of my own volition.

I think it's a brave choice and admire anyone who does it.
    Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Flora - Jane - Mabel - Susannah

Arthur - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

I have heard the process is pretty wretched for egg donation! That aside, though, I think it could be a great way to help an infertile couple. I looked into it a few years ago but I wasn't eligible (the standards they have are pretty strict, and I am apparently too voluptuous!) And now I am pretty sure I'm too old. Plus I would miss having sex with my husband!
    Baby Sequoia Orion due October 2014!
    Other favorites: Cytheria, Arcadia, Seraphina, Caspian, Gideon

This reminds me of something that came up on the Offbeat Families website recently, link: http://offbeatfamilies.com/2013/04/t...f-donating-egg
    Leo Sebastian l Ronan Alexander

current loves
    Felix l Finn l Moss l Heath l Fern l Veda l Tui l Blythe

If you haven't donated or used an egg donor...
    ...would you consider donating? Why? or Why not? What would be your personal concerns?

I don't think so. For one, I'm not even sure I'd be considered, as I have mental illness myself, although my family history is healthy. If I WAS "allowed" to donate (or chosen by a family privately), I wouldn't really feel comfortable taking the hormones and medications required to do so. First of all, they would probably strongly affect me medically/emotionally/etc (moreso than a healthy person), and even if they didn't, I'm not sure I trust how safe all of that is. Maybe if I was already done having my own children, I'd be more likely to do so.

I think it's great when other people do so, but I also question how much is known about the process and the drugs used, and question whether in the long run it's going to be save, or if a couple of generations down the line, we'll see repercussions of messing with fertility.
    Lillian Elizabeth 6.16.13