Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    We always knew we would name our first daughter Madelyn Esther, after our grandmothers. A couple of years before she was born, our best friend's sister named her daughter Madeline. I wouldn't have used it if our friend had actually used it, but since I don't know his sister that well and she lives in a different state, we used it anyway.

So it would depend on how much the name meant to me. Madelyn meant a lot because it was my grandmother's name.
    Mom to Alexander Patrick (10), Madelyn Esther (7), Genevieve Susan (2), and angel baby Theodore James (stillborn at 37 weeks on February 3, 2014).

Hoping to welcome another little one into our family in 2015.

Girls: Bridget, Elizabeth, Isadora, Felicity, Helena, Marianne, Violet, Penelope, Ophelia, Victoria
    Boys: Sebastian, Everett, Julian, Henry, Caspian, Desmond, Arthur, Nicholas, Anthony, Barnaby

My faves are my faves just because they are rare in my country. If friend or just somebody I know named his/her child Melisande or Melisend I would not name my child Melisande. If somebody from other city named his/her child Melisande, I don't know what would I do. But name would loose it's charm.
    Sorry for bad English, I am from other country

I'd say no to the first two and depends on the acquaintance with the third (is this an acquaintance I sometimes work with or a friend of many of my friends who I just am not friend with? - yes to the first; no to the second).

However, if someone were really to use my all time favorite name and my SO and I couldn't decide on anything else I'd have a hard time deciding.
    Aurelia - Endora - Illyria - Lorelei - Merida - Ofelia - Penrose - Tabitha - Viola - Zenobia
    Alaric - Anton - Cedric - Dexter - Erich - Felix - Hector - Hendrik - Leonidas - Victor
    Engaged to the best Man in the World. (God-mama to Lawrence, a little bundle of sunshine).

Even if I really loved a name I would not name my baby after an friend who lives in the same city/town has named her child.
    I also feel the same about not naming my baby after an a friend who lives further away has named her child. Though I feel it's okay to use the same name as an acquaintance of yours has named her child.
    Last edited by babyninja143; May 19th, 2013 at 10:09 AM. Reason: spelling
    ~Alice~
    A little boy is joining our family around May 25, 2014.

Top 2 Names: Theodore and Ronan.

- a friend who lives in the same city/town has named her child

No.

- a friend who lives futher away has named her child

Maybe, if it is a common name (let's say in the top 50 or so)

- an acquaintance of yours has named her child

Yes, but only if it is a fairly common name (let's say in the top 150 or so)

Hope you don't mind if I add some other questions along the same lines:

- a non-sibling relative of yours (cousin or more distant) has named his/her child

Yes, I did this. One of my sons shares a name with one of my first cousin's sons. I rarely ever see him (and also have about 30 first cousins so avoiding overlap is actually tricky). It's also a relatively common name.

- a co-worker has named his/her child

Maybe. I considered doing this but ruled out the name (Jasper). If I'd really loved it, I would have done it regardless of the co-worker's son, though.

- a name shared by one of your own friends (although your child wouldn't be named after that friend per se)

Yes, I did this. One of my sons has the same name as one of my good friends from university. I only see him once in a blue moon now, though. Again, it is a fairly common name so I don't find it strange. Similarly, my husband has a good friend with a young son who shares my husband's (also fairly common) name, and it's never seemed odd.
    *Mother to twins Charles and Samuel*