Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Three parents means three opinions, means HOW DO WE NAME THE KID?

We, that's Sandra, Jackson and me (Carol), are 'slightly divided' when it comes to baby names. We don't want to know the gender of the tiny human, yet. That's why we discuss boys' and girls' names. There are two possible last names, too. If it's a girl, we are probably naming her Josephine. After my mother and Sandra's grand-grandmother. So is it
    Josephine Sasha Sullivan? - with the father's last name
    Josephine Sasha Weber? - with mom's last name
    My surname isn't an option, 'cause, officially, it's not even my kid.
    But the major problem are boys' names. We haven't found any compromise, yet. Sandra, no matter what, wants a Sasha, Jack goes for Eli, while I'd like Ismael. I'm gonna raise this baby with Sandra. And still, Jack get's to discuss this with us and Sandra listens to him. There has always been something, I couldn't give her. She found it in her best friend. Anyway, that's not the point.As far as I can tell, the initials S.S. are a little... Ya know? Sandra is German... She probably doesn't see it like that. She sees her homeland in another light. But with all these prejudices about Germans... Kids can be so cruel. With Ismael Sasha Sullivan, there would be part of my culture, Sandra's brother's name and Jack's last name. Isn't that a compromise? Or is Eli it after all? What do you guys think?

I like Eli Sasha Sullivan the best.

I think Ismael Sasha Sullivan or Sasha Ismael Sullivan are too heavy on the S's. (Sorry.)
    Ismael is nms so I can't tell you how I feel about any combo with it in general but I think that might be a better fit with LN Weber instead of Sullivan.
    I wouldn't worry about the SS too much either. I would if it were FN and LN - because those will show up more often next to each other - being German I am sensitive to that - MN and LN will rarely be seen together and unless the FN starts with A I doubt anyone will every really notice.
    I don't know if a true "compromise" should ever be reached when naming a child. I do think that if you are going to be a major/primary care giver then your voice should also be heard.

Is there a longer version of Eli that you like that could reflect your culture and could be nn's Eli? (I'm assuming your Jewish or very religiously Christian with a choice like Ismael reflecting your culture).
    Suggestions:
    Eliakim
    Eliam
    Elias
    Elihu
    Elijah/Elisha (these are too close to Sasha for me but could be a good mix combo between Eli and Sasha)
    Elior

Edit Addition:
    If Jack is basically a close friend who served as a sperm-donor then I think it's nice to consider him as well but I don't think the child need's his LN. If he is a full parent then I think giving the child his LN even if it lives mostly with you would be nice so he feels like part of the team.
    Last edited by lexiem; May 18th, 2013 at 05:29 PM.
    Aurelia - Endora - Illyria - Lorelei - Merida - Ofelia - Penrose - Tabitha - Viola - Zenobia
    Alaric - Anton - Cedric - Dexter - Erich - Felix - Hector - Hendrik - Leonidas - Victor
    Engaged to the best Man in the World. (God-mama to Lawrence, a little bundle of sunshine).

I wouldn't worry about the initials SS. I LOVE Sasha for a boy.

Also, if it makes you feel better, a friend of mine is in a polyamorous relationship with 7 other people. They've been together 10 years and have 3 kids together in total. If they can figure out names without killing each other, so can you!

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Wren or Simon Adler | Alice Violetta or Atlas Dov | Julian 'Jules' River or Juniper 'Joon' Lovelace | Roscoe Fox or Marlowe Fritz | Jane Lucinda or Lucien Wilde | Louisa Valor or Eloise March | Ivan Elliot or Iris Cordelia | August Jack or Jasper Hale | Dashiell Jude or Judah Reeve | Thea Marina or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Finnegan Wallace or Felix Raphael

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

So I'm gonna bring up Elliot Sasha Sullivan when we meet Jackson. So we have a biblical name with the nick name Eli and Sasha in it. I wouldn't have thought of longer versions of Eli. But there are so many variations of Elijah. Thank you so much. If the co-parents love this name as much as I do, it should be fix. In fact, Elliot was a name, I liked very much in my childhood.

Edit: There is less polyamorous about us, than it might have seemed. It's a little complicated.
    Last edited by carolsannyjack; May 18th, 2013 at 06:05 PM.