Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Desdemona

Desdemona

I was looking on instagram the other day and I saw a woman with her twin daughters named Desdemona and Lexington. She called them Desi and Lexi.
    I think Desdemona is a gorgeous and unique name and I don't really care about the tragic character at Shakespeare.

What do you think?
    It's usable?

" Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this too was a gift " ~ Mary Oliver

My name is Vasiliki but I prefer Bellerose . A lover of dark names , trying to be something in her life .

Persephone " Seph " ~ Hades ~ Prometheus .

I like the Shakespeare character, but Desdemona means misery (the Greek word dusdaimonia). Some say it means of the devil, but that's not really true even though it does kind of sound like it. Nope, I don't think it's usable.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

I agree with otillie. I would never use the name with such meaning and image although I love "Othello". I think not all the names from classic novels and myths are usable.

I didn't know about the meaning!
    Now is not usable at all! I think I will stay with other Shakespeare names!

" Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this too was a gift " ~ Mary Oliver

My name is Vasiliki but I prefer Bellerose . A lover of dark names , trying to be something in her life .

Persephone " Seph " ~ Hades ~ Prometheus .

Yeah, there are a lot of other lovely Shakespearean names: think Rosalind, Cordelia, Viola...