Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Mary Ryan, Mae Ryan, etc

My brother just passed. As I am absolutely devastated, I am trying to find my own ways to honor him. My husband and I are ttc, and I just got the thought that Mary Ryan (Double First name) would be really cute. Mary for our aunt who just passed and Ryan is my brothers name. I don't normally like boys names on girls, but it's getting more "unisex" and I could see it do about. I just don't know if Mary Ryan is too many R sounds
    so i've thought about-

Mary Ryan
    Mae Ryan
    Zella Ryan

And I'm stuck. Can you guys give me some short syllable combo suggestions? I need something to take my mind off of recent events and I thought the berries could be perfect for dishing out some distraction
    Mommy to Archer Thomas (4)

TTC since May 2012!!

Married to my best friend since March, 2008 <3

Well, I will disagree that Ryan on girls is becoming MORE "unisex". It's actually gone down on the SSA chart from 574 in 2011 to 607 in 2012 (it actually peaked in the mid-80's). 466 births in 2012 compared to 703 in 1987.

That said, Ryan in the middle doesn't bother me as much as if you were going to use it as a first name, just keep in mind that it means "little king". What about Rhiannon "great queen" or Rhianna? Both are very similar but more feminine.

Mae Rhiannon sounds great but Mae Ryan kind of sounds like a first name/last name to me, which isn't terrible but it could be better. I'm not fond of Zella with an older brother named Archer.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

Mae Ryan makes me think of the actress Meg Ryan.
    My furry darlings ~ Bodie the border terrier & Portia and Penny the guinea pigs

Amabel ~ Beryl ~ Bryony ~ Cecily ~ Charis ~ Clara ~ Dinah ~ Flora ~ Georgiana ~ Ophelia ~ Rosamund ~ Sylvie ~ Tabitha ~ Tamsin ~ Violet

Arthur ~ Barnaby ~ Basil ~ Bertie ~ Darcy ~ Elliot ~ Felix ~ Fraser ~ Frederick ~ Henry ~ Monty ~ Rowan ~ Rupert ~ Theodore ~ Tristan

I am so sorry for your loss. I like Mary Ryan, but there may be too many 'r' sounds. How about Molly Ryan or even Anna Ryan?
    I also like the pp's suggestion of Rhiannon.

Another suggestion is Maryanne. Maryanne combines Mary and Ryan so nicely!
    Last edited by kyemsma; May 17th, 2013 at 05:28 AM.
    From our ancestors come our names, but from our virtues our honors. ~ Proverb

I'm so sorry for your loss. I actually know several females named Rhyan/Ryan. I even think Rhyan Mary works a little better than Mary Ryan due to the repeated "r" sounds. However, I know a woman named Mary Ryan as her first and last name. It works fine, and the first/last combo is going to be said a lot more in a person's life than the first/middle combo. Molly is a good suggestion too, since that is a common nickname for Mary.
    Mom to Alexander Patrick (10), Madelyn Esther (8), Genevieve Susan (3), and Theodore James (stillborn at 37 weeks on February 3, 2014). TTC #5

Boys: Everett, Sebastian, Augustus, Samuel, Abraham, Elias, Julian, Silas, Nicholas
    Girls: Bridget, Felicity, Elizabeth, Leona, Ophelia, Caroline, Aurelia, Elysia, Callista

Vote on my long list! http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9844996