Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Struggling with name for main character female

I am the most indecisive person in the world but, I've been struggling with names for the last few days while deciding to re write the story. I've been playing around with a few names. I really love Lydia but, I'm not quit sure. I'm open to suggestions, guys please help me out.

Arielle
    Lila
    Willa
    Arabella
    Lydia

Arielle - 1st thought Mermaid, 2nd thought aerial tower, gives a very ethereal airy bimbo-ish feel to me
    Lila - I never know how to pronounce this! Lee-luh, Lie-luh, Lil-uh, etc., feeling of uncertainty is all I get
    Willa - I much prefer this to Lila as I feel it has only one pronunciation. It was very uncommon for the last 50 years though, so if you want your character to be in her teens or an adult (but not in her 60's) it's something to consider
    Arabella - same as Willa in terms of popularity , again a very airy feel but with a bit more dust than Arielle. This still feels a bit Harry Potter to me.
    Lydia - very classic, but not super interesting. Solid name for a nice girl.

I think something like Aubrey or Audrey (from your signature) would be a great option.
    Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by kala_way View Post
    Lila - I never know how to pronounce this! Lee-luh, Lie-luh, Lil-uh, etc., feeling of uncertainty is all I get

I think something like Aubrey or Audrey (from your signature) would be a great option.
    It can be Lye-la or Lee-la, when I first saw it I thought Lee-la. I would use Aubrey but, the name is already taken. I'm writing a fanfiction for Pitch Perfect. I stumbled upon the name Amberley which is a little city I'm New Zealand, and England. It could have a back story to it maybe?

I really, really like the name Arabella. I also like Lydia and Lila. (I actually knew someone with that name, so I know how to pronounce it. )
    I think if you like Lydia, go for it!
    “I read books when I was a kid, lots of books. Books always seemed like magic to me. They took you to the most amazing places. When I got older, I realized I couldn't find books that took me to all the places I wanted to go. To go to those places, I had to write some books myself.”
    ― Pat Murphy, The Wild Girls

"Like everyone else, I am going to die. But the words – the words live on..."
    ― J. Michael Straczynski

The easiest way to sort out 'lila' is by making it Lilah. That way it reads like the end of Delilah which can only be pronounced 'de-lye-lah'.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: The book is now complete. All chapters are up!