Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Philip - Is Phil avoidable?

I really love Philip for a boy..Its regal, sophisticated, masculine, and not too common where I live.

Only problem is that I really hate the nickname Phil! What do you think of Philip, and do you think Phil is avoidable?

Also..Phillip or Philip?

Thanks in advance!

Mama to Amelie Clara (2008) & Daisy Madeline (2013).

Alice Tallulah, Polly Matilda, Rosalie Faye, Lucy Annabel, Maya Lillian, Hazel Kate, Eva Blossom, Juliet Lila, Ivy Camille.
    Charles Joshua "Charlie", Theodore Samuel "Teddy", Elliott Daniel, Noah Zachary, James Oscar, Arthur Philip, Rowan Isaac.

I have known several Phillips and none of them ever went by Phil. but that doesn't mean it won't happen. I hated the nn Chris, but when my son was around 3 or 4 he decided he liked it so that is what he is called.
    I prefer the spelling Phillip
    mom to Mckinley Mayfair, Christian Wayne & Sir Angus Fionn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    fave girls
    fave boys
    fave combos
    just for fun combos

I know a Philip who goes by Phil, but I think it's avoidable. If anyone wants an alternate nickname, I think Pip or Flip is nice. And I like both spellings.
    k♥m
    mid-20s. grad student at AU.
    Leona · Vivian · Florence · Beatrix · Zelda
    August · Barnaby · Winston · Atlas · Milo

I was married to a Philip. He abhors Phil and no one ever called him that. He was named after his grandfather who also only went by Philip. I think you can definitely avoid it.
    Mama to
    Desmond Sanders, born 7/2013
    and dog son, Lambeau

Surprisingly, I don't know any Philips/Phils so I can't say for sure but I guess it's avoidable. Like you meet somebody in the market and he/she asks his name, you say: "He's Philip. Not Phil but Philip". And politely remind everybody who calls him Phil that her prefers(you prefer) to go by Philip.
    And I personally like this name spelled with double "l" though I think that's just me.