Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: Do you association the name Caius with the Caesar family?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, very strongly

8 11.76%
  • Yes, but it's not a strong association

8 11.76%
  • Not really, I associate it as an old Roman name, but not specifically with that family

40 58.82%
  • No, no association with Caesar family in my mind at all

12 17.65%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick 'Caius' Question

One of the reasons Caius got removed from our short-list is due to an association I can't quite shake off. The name Caius feels very associated to the Caesar family to me (Caius Julius Caesar, Caius Caesar Caligula, and several other Caesar's). I'm a history teacher, and just interested in history in general, so I'm wondering if this is an association that other people make, or if it's just me. Some of them Caesar's are far from namesakes I'd like to be tied to a name we'd actually use.

Do you associate the name Caius (or Gaius) with the Caesar family?
    Updated Name List- http://www.ebabynames.com/list/eff115- Vote away...

Yes I do, well Gaius anyway, and since it's the same name I guess I do. I know Caligula was a pretty bad seed (like a really really really bad seed), but I like Augustus, Tacitus and Gracchus, and Julius Caesar wasn't all bad, he did some great things (besides I rather picture him as Ciarán Hinds after I saw Rome).
    There's a sculpture in Soho of Charles II made by Caius Cibbler or something. First name definitely Caius, I remember I thought it was pretty cool.

I think it's a great name. You can't let one (or however many) bad dude destroy the name.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

No, just reminds me of Shakespeare's Titus Andronicus . =)

Yes, but it also reminds me of BBCs Merlin and I love it for that reason. (:
    Wanting to be pregnant.

Thanks for the responses everyone!
    Glad to see most people don't associate it to Ceasar's fam quite as strongly as I do.

@Ottilie- Yeah, I agree I shouldn't let a few bad seeds destroy a good name, but when it's a couple of world leaders (even if ancient) it just seems to exacerbate the depth of the negative association, in my mind at least. Perhaps just something I have to get over.
    Updated Name List- http://www.ebabynames.com/list/eff115- Vote away...