Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Exclamation Help me LOVE a boys name...

I like plenty of boy names, I just can't see us using any of them. Plus, there are a lot of "rules" I need to follow. First of all, the boys in my family go by their middle name. Not my favorite thing, but I'm not going to break tradition. The first name (the un-used name) is going to be Austin, probably. So that means I can't use anything 2 syllables ending in n (I think it sounds icky... for example: Austin Holden.) It also can't be anything with an S on the end because our last name is one syllable and starts with an S. And ends with an S. So here's what I have so far, but like I said, I'm not loving any of them.

Arlo
    Callum
    Everett
    Rhett
    Bridger
    Emmett
    Oakley
    Milo
    Rio
    Caledon
    Roscoe

If you've read this far... thank you lol and any advice is MUCH appreciated!

In all seriousness, why not break tradition? I can't see how this practice would have any sentimental value; it's not as though you're passing down the name of a treasured relative. It just seems like an unnecessary hassle for everyone involved. Plus, all naming traditions are broken eventually. Why bother keeping this one alive when your son could very well find it silly and break it himself when the time comes? I don't think tradition is a valid reason for forcing yourself into false contentment instead of finding a name you truly love.

Just my two cents.
    Simon Valor | Eloise Lily | Judah Sage | Thea Marina | Felix Orion | Iris Cordelia | Roscoe Benjamin | Lydia Wren | Jasper Conroy | Phaedra Naomi | Adrian Bruno | Lucinda 'Indie' Jane | Wallace Finnegan | Sylvie Winifred | Charles 'Charlie' Elliot | Juniper Faye | Julian 'Jules' Atlas | Matilda Sailor | Marlowe Charles | Alice Elizabeth | Jack Mariner | Marigold 'Maggie' Susan

Just a grad student, dreaming ahead...

I agree...

I know it seems silly. I don't like it either, but I don't want him to feel as though he is the odd one out of the family. My family is stubborn and will insist on calling him his middle name, whatever it is. It's taken me a while to come to terms with it, but I've decided it's a battle I don't want to fight.

I really like Everett and love the sound of Austin Everett. I would suggest using a three or four syllable middle/given name to balance Austin and your one-syllable last name. Here are some options:

Zachary
    Gabriel
    Leopold
    Theodore
    Maximus
    Atticus
    Xavier
    Tobias
    Indigo
    Gregory
    Jeremiah
    Laurentius
    Nicholas/Nikolai/Nicodemus
    Rafferty
    Malachi
    Evander
    Mom to Alexander Patrick (11), Madelyn Esther (8), Genevieve Susan (3), and Theodore James (stillborn at 37 weeks on February 3, 2014). Expecting #5 in May 2015.

Boys: Everett, Sebastian, Augustus, Samuel, Abraham, Elias, Julian, Silas, Nicholas, Desmond, Jasper, Ezekiel
    Girls: Bridget, Felicity, Elizabeth, Leona, Ophelia, Caroline, Aurelia, Elysia, Callista, Miriam, Isabelle, Delilah

Vote on my long list! http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9844996