Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lexikj View Post
    With Embla, the sound just isn't appealing at all. It doesn't really sound like a name to me, just the "blah" sound is really strong at the end. Like someone else said, it sounds like "em, blah blah" to me.
    But Embla isn't pronounced Em-blah, it's pronounced em-BLA ("Gudrun" pronounce it very well here).
    Zelia • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a personal blog and one about royalty
    Exporting beautiful old Danish names, exotic Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Edouard Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel "Tilda" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Asta Catherine Françoise "Shazza"

Quote Originally Posted by shvibziks View Post
    But Embla isn't pronounced Em-blah, it's pronounced em-BLA ("Gudrun" pronounce it very well here).
    She seems to say "Empla" though. :P (Yeah, I know that's probably correct in Icelandic.)

I'd say it's really more like EMB-la than EM-bla. If that makes a difference to anyone else but me ...

Quote Originally Posted by reginanoctis View Post
    She seems to say "Empla" though. :P (Yeah, I know that's probably correct in Icelandic.)

I'd say it's really more like EMB-la than EM-bla. If that makes a difference to anyone else but me ...
    Slight icelandic accent

You're right, EMB-la does make more sense (I'm a dork at spelling things phonetically, so thank goodness for forvo).
    Zelia • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a personal blog and one about royalty
    Exporting beautiful old Danish names, exotic Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Edouard Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel "Tilda" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Asta Catherine Françoise "Shazza"

It's probably just because Embla is kinda weird and I've literliterally never even heard it before.

I'm not a fan of the names Amber or Ember, so that probably doesn't help. But, like others have said, the "bla" ending is unpleasant. It makes me think of the word "emblem". It doesn't sound foreign; it sounds like a made up name. I also think you would run into difficulties with people not being able to understand what you're saying when you tell them the name.