Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    It sounds like Emblem. If you choose a name from another culture, many people won't get it.
    Alice - Beatrix - Clara - Daphne - Flora - Harriet - Mabel - Susannah

Arthur - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

Well, there are 2 parts of the name: Em - which I like and bla- which, well is and sounds like blablabla... To me, it´s the "b" in the middle that I find quite distracting. How about Emla? I don´t know if that´s actually a name but it sounds much softer to me and less "bla". But I do understand that you want to honour your heritage. With that name however it´s a tough choice, sorry.
    Fav. Girls Names: Rosalie, Amalia, Isa-Lea, Marisa Zaney, Sophia Florence, Adriana Louise

Fav. Boys Names: Tristan, Theo, Quentin, Jannik, Colin, James, Bennett, Benedict

Fav. combinations: Rosalie Delia, Amalia Lucia and Jerry Benedict, Theodore James

I don't think there is anything wrong with it. It intrigues me. The sound is different but pretty. Yes, it has that blah sound in there but I don't think it's quite the same.

My only hesitation is that I don't think it translates well to the Canadian/US ear. As someone who comes from a family with beautiful Spanish names that have been butchered by immigration paperwork (none of my uncles legally have the name they were born with... When they came to this country, their names were made more "American" and my poor father's name gets mistaken for a woman's name nearly every day) and butchered by English speakers, it has taught me to choose names that translate well in BOTH cultures. My rule of thumb is to remember that I don't have to live with the name; my child does.

I do like it. It's different and fun, IMHO.
    Last edited by dindlee; May 17th, 2013 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Stupid iPad
    My darling little Bean is a G I R L!
    Making her debut September 2014

Embla is rather pretty.

I think Embla may be difficult because:

1. spelling problems

2. pronunciation problems

3. bla ending

4. cultural misunderstanding

My parents gave me the very German middle of Irmgard. I really love it because of the connection to my culture and family. I think that your daughter Embla could learn to love her name.

Another option is to use Embla as a nn.:

Emmeline Blanche
    Artemsia Blaire
    Clementina Blanchette
    Poem Blaise

I think the problem is that it doesn't sound 'foreign enough' - it's just too close to Emma and in English speaking countries will constantly be misheard as 'I think she said Emma, but does she have a slight lisp?'.

Reading it in your header my first thought was 'embalmer' or that it was a mash-up name. My background is Irish and I think if you are using foreign names in an English speaking country your child's life will be easier if you use ones that immediately suggest Norwegian, Irish, Russian etc to the average English speaker. I love that you want to reconnect with your heritage but I think names you have to keep explaining are hard work.
    Thrilled to be mother to @gnes Ei1ish Madeline and Fe1icity Bridget Be@trice

If we'd had boys the list was: Godfrey, Seamus, Alexander, Michael, Felix, Peter, Ignatius & Sebastian.