Names Searched Right Now:

Threaded View

Still Questioning Everything!

OK fellow nameberries:
    I'm stuck! First I posted on 'girls' names' then on 'boys' names' and now here. Hubby and I are trying for our second (and last!) little one. Our first is a lovely little lad we named Harold Jonathan, who goes by the nn Hal. Harold comes from my husband's side and Jonathan comes from my side. I LOVE that we managed to honor both grandfathers in the naming of our son. (I think they loved it too.) However, none of the other names in our family trees are flowing nicely with Hal. We seem to get close to selecting a name, and for some reason, it just doesn't feel right and I can't commit. This is the exact opposite of what happened with our son. Even though we didn't find out the sex, we had two names selected; one male and one female, but it is a different game trying to select a name that will stand alone but also flow with a sibling name. I am now doing the unthinkable, and I'm starting to consider names that aren't on our family tree (gasp!). So, here are some names we like from both family trees. Please feel free to offer suggestions using the names from my list, or random names you think sound good. I'm looking for a name with will go nicely with both Harold and Hal, but if I had to choose the most important flow, it would be with Hal, because that is what we actually call him. Thanks for your time and fresh ideas!

Male Family Names We Like:
    Tomberlin, nn Tom
    McGill
    Holt
    Barrett
    Hugh
    Butler
    Kurt
    Joseph

Female Family Names We Like:
    Lillian
    DeMerle
    Valentine
    Jan
    Dorothy
    Josephine
    Claudia
    Marie
    Joan
    Hazel
    Ida
    Catherine
    Nellie
    Mae
    Cecilia

Names We Will Not Consider:
    Bea
    Jana
    Jane
    Lillian, or Lilli or Lilly
    Jillian
    Josie
    Any names that are in the top 100 for popularity

Girl Names We Like (But Are Not On Our Tree):
    Saffi
    Evie
    Marney

I feel much more confident in our boy name options. I tried really hard to fall in love with Janet Valentine for a baby girl name, but 'Janet' just isn't sitting right with Hal. I don't know. I'm tired of looking at them all, but at the same time, I really want to have a girl name I feel good about.
    Thanks again for reading this and even more for trying to help us.
    Last edited by frances322; May 17th, 2013 at 06:26 AM.