Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How usable is the name Ursula? Thanks clever girls and boys

We aren't thinking of it for our baby since we chose a name already but it's just an interesting one I had on my list maybe for next time. Anyways, do you think because of little mermaid Ursula is unusable? I was told kids would call her sea witch and she would hate me and want to change her name. Thoughts?

It's actually one of my favourite names (and my fiance hates it). I think it's absolutely usable, and very cool. But I haven't watched The Little Mermaid since it came out, I didn't even remember there was anyone in there called Ursula (I thought the bad one was Vanessa, which is another cool name). I think of D.H. Lawrence, Ursula Andress and Ursula von Rydningsvard (if I spell that correctly).

You can't not use the name used for the bad guys in books and movies as they usually get the best names.
    My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014

Hmm.. I'm not very keen on Ursula, but I think that is mostly due to the sound of the first syllable. I do think of The Little Mermaid, then Ursula K. Le Guin, and finally Ursula Andress.

I think Ursula is wonderful, substantial, handsome. But I like Olga too, so maybe I'm not a good judge.
    The Little Mermaid ...I don't know if kids today are even watching it. And was there an Ursula in the Hans Christian Anderson story?

If I was named Ursula, I would hate it. Too many Little Mermaid associations.

I like the name, just not the associations.
    ~Mehri