Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Writing a book and can't find good names!

Hello. I am writing a book with a female heroine and considering Riley, Eyelet, and Sahi, except I've struggled picking one of them because Riley could be considered too popular, Eyelet is really unusual, and Sahi, an Asian name, might be too exotic. Any ideas?

Try looking at the writing forum guide for some suggestions on information we need to help you.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

You mean Ayelet, the Hebrew name? My source bible for character naming is Sherilyn Kenyon's The Writer's Digest Character Naming Sourcebook. I also use the phone book for surnames, as well as hunting through the web, using the assorted Nameberry books, and my own genealogy when appropriate.

As I'm currently hard at work on two novels -- one online and one Real World -- naming has been important for this past year. Oddly enough, it's the reason why I've been largely absent from these boards this year -- too busy writing!

Well, I think they're fine. It's good to have some variation in your names, and I think this brings together many aspects of names. For example, I know a group of people whose names are Chiharu, Alexis, Lila, Aubrey, and Cori. That's a lot of variation. It makes it more real, so long as the story makes sense with the names, which is your call.
    “I read books when I was a kid, lots of books. Books always seemed like magic to me. They took you to the most amazing places. When I got older, I realized I couldn't find books that took me to all the places I wanted to go. To go to those places, I had to write some books myself.”
    ― Pat Murphy, The Wild Girls

"Like everyone else, I am going to die. But the words – the words live on..."
    ― J. Michael Straczynski

[FONT=Georgia]I really like Eyelet. I think it's innocent, yet mysterious and very powerful.

Sian, Sahiri, Sapphire or Saphira kind of sound like Sahi. I don't like Riley, it doesn't remind me of a heroine figure at all. Maybe Raina or Renee? [/FONT]
    Girls: Arabella, Kismet (Kizzy), Kalel, Cypress, Saffron, Vienna and Leighton

Guys: Caspian, Matteo, Levi, Beckett, Easton & Marlowe

teenberry, name lover, writer