Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I'm going to suggest a name on our short list, Margaret.. Patron Saint of Expectant mothers and women in childbirth. Margaret Mead could be considered literary? It's on our list for both of those reasons.. plus the anthropology connection.
    Mom to three boys & Expecting #4 October 2014!!

I love your daughters names! Some ideas:

Hero (greek mythology and shakespeare reference)
    Hera
    Freya (i feel like i ought to suggest this since its my name!)
    Juno (sounds amazing with Cora and Vesper imo)
    Aurora
    Oriana (i love this for you!)
    Livia

I love Josephine, Aurelia, Ariadne, Willa, Liv and Athena from your list.

How about:
    Hero Josephine
    Willa Ariadne
    Liv Oriana
    ~ Mama to Juniper and expecting Arlo at the end of May ~

Beautiful Firsts with Family Middles:
    ~ Callie Susannah- Beatrice Pearl "Bliss" - Celeste Maybelle - Veda Rosalie ~

~ Zephyr Joseph Yeats - Nate Arthur Miles ~

Quote Originally Posted by freya55 View Post
    I love your daughters names! Some ideas:

Hero (greek mythology and shakespeare reference)
    Hera
    Freya (i feel like i ought to suggest this since its my name!)
    Juno (sounds amazing with Cora and Vesper imo)
    Aurora
    Oriana (i love this for you!)
    Livia

I love Josephine, Aurelia, Ariadne, Willa, Liv and Athena from your list.

How about:
    Hero Josephine
    Willa Ariadne
    Liv Oriana
    Thanks freya! I like your combos. I was pushing for Cora to be a Freja -- but it has been nixed time and time again by Papa Owlett. He also nixed Juno. He's such a party pooper!

Oriana isn't one I'd heard before. I enjoy Ori. Definitely goes on the consideration list!
    Hero's up there on our mn list. We were bold enough to use Vesper -- but are we bold enough for Hero? I'm not sure. Papa Owlett and I worked on a Much Ado production while dating and we've been trying to find a way to work Hero in for years now.
    Mama to Belle & Pip
    Wife, mother, farmer, friend and doula.

Saints (and some mythology/literary):

Flora: Derived from Latin flos meaning "flower". Flora was the Roman goddess of flowers and spring, the wife of Zephyr the west wind. It has been used as a given name since the Renaissance. St. Flora of Beaulieu also a September Saint

Agatha: Latinized form of the Greek name Αγαθη (Agathe), derived from Greek αγαθος (agathos) meaning "good". Saint Agatha was a 3rd-century martyr from Sicily who was tortured and killed after spurning the advances of a Roman official. The saint was widely revered in the Middle Ages, and her name has been used throughout Christian Europe (in various spellings). The mystery writer Agatha Christie (1890-1976) was a famous modern bearer of this name.

Agnes: derived from Greek ‘αγνος (hagnos) meaning "chaste". Saint Agnes was a virgin martyred during the persecutions of the Roman emperor Diocletian. The name became associated with Latin agnus "lamb", resulting in the saint's frequent depiction with a lamb by her side. Due to her renown, the name became common in Christian Europe, being especially popular in England in the Middle Ages.

Alexandra: In Greek mythology this was a Mycenaean epithet of the goddess Hera, and an alternate name of Cassandra. Saint Alexandra of RomeChristian saint, known from "Martyrdom of Saint George" as Emperor Diocletian's wife. She is also sometimes called Priscilla or Prisca.

Cecilia: Latinate feminine form of the Roman family name Caecilius, which was derived from Latin caecus "blind". Saint Cecilia was a semi-legendary 2nd- or 3rd-century martyr who was sentenced to die because she refused to worship the Roman gods. After attempts to suffocate her failed, she was beheaded. She was later regarded as the patron saint of music and musicians.

Edith: derived from the elements ead "rich, blessed" and gyð "war". It was popular among Anglo-Saxon royalty, being borne for example by Saint Edith, the daughter of King Edgar the Peaceful. Saint Edith (Patron of Youth)

Genevieve: From Genovefa, a Gaulish name possibly meaning "tribe woman". Saint Geneviève, the patron saint of Paris, inspired the city to resist the Huns in the 5th century.

Helen: In Greek mythology Helen was the daughter of Zeus and Leda, whose kidnapping by Paris was the cause of the Trojan War. The name was also borne by the 4th-century Saint Helena, mother of the Roman emperor Constantine, who supposedly found the True Cross during a trip to Jerusalem.
    The name was originally used among early Christians in honour of the saint, as opposed to the classical character.A famous bearer was Helen Keller (1880-1968), an American author and lecturer who was both blind and deaf.

Regina: Late Latin name meaning "queen". It was in use as a Christian name from early times, and was borne by a 2nd-century saint. In England it was used during the Middle Ages in honour of the Virgin Mary, and it was later revived in the 19th century. A city in Canada bears this name, in honour of Queen Victoria. Patron Saint: Shepherdesses

Beatrix: Beatrix was a 4th-century saint who was strangled to death during the persecutions of Diocletian. In England it became rare after the Middle Ages, but it was revived in the 19th century. A famous bearer was the British author and illustrator Beatrix Potter (1866-1943), the creator of Peter Rabbit.

Seraphina: Feminine form of the Late Latin name Seraphinus, derived from the biblical word seraphim which was Hebrew in origin and meant "fiery ones". The seraphim were an order of angels, described by Isaiah in the Bible as having six wings each. This was the name of a 13th-century Italian saint who made clothes for the poor.

With Cora and Vesper, I think Helen, Beatrix, Agnes and Edith fit the best
    Last edited by lizzyq; May 19th, 2013 at 07:48 PM.
    Mom to three boys & Expecting #4 October 2014!!

Quote Originally Posted by owlett View Post
    Thanks freya! I like your combos. I was pushing for Cora to be a Freja -- but it has been nixed time and time again by Papa Owlett. He also nixed Juno. He's such a party pooper!

Oriana isn't one I'd heard before. I enjoy Ori. Definitely goes on the consideration list!
    Hero's up there on our mn list. We were bold enough to use Vesper -- but are we bold enough for Hero? I'm not sure. Papa Owlett and I worked on a Much Ado production while dating and we've been trying to find a way to work Hero in for years now.
    You've made me love Hero for you even more now! The fact that it has the mythology connection, a strong literary connection and also a personal connection- i would love to see you use it. I agree, it is a bold choice for the first place, but it would make a stunning middle name. Since Hero ticks the mythology and literary boxes, how about a sweet, short, vintage saints name in the front that matches Cora and Vesper (i've just seen Lizzyq has made some amazing suggestions above, sorry for repeats!)

Agnes Hero
    Beatrice Hero*
    Aurelia Hero
    Eulalia Hero
    Helena Hero
    Thea Hero
    Tabitha Hero*
    Celeste Hero*
    Matilda Hero
    Martha Hero*
    Lucy Hero*
    Julia Hero
    Willa Hero(from your list)*
    Felicity Hero (from your list)*
    Josephine Hero(from your list)*
    (i've starred my favourites)

I'm glad you like Oriana, it really is crazy gorgeous! I've been playing with combinations but haven't quite got there yet! Oriana Hero is incredible but i don't think you have a saint in there.

After i went to bed last night, i suddenly thought of Phoebe (goddess and also saint), Luna, Clio, Xanthe and Daphne. I also got really excited about Flora, since its matches all your criterea, but then i realised it rhymes with Cora! :-(

Keep us posted, i really love your daughter's names so i'm very excited to see what you choose!
    Last edited by freya55; May 20th, 2013 at 07:00 AM.
    ~ Mama to Juniper and expecting Arlo at the end of May ~

Beautiful Firsts with Family Middles:
    ~ Callie Susannah- Beatrice Pearl "Bliss" - Celeste Maybelle - Veda Rosalie ~

~ Zephyr Joseph Yeats - Nate Arthur Miles ~