Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Language Help

Language Help

So, Persephone seems to be a bit behind in her speech development. It's not for lack of trying. I talk to her, we watch educational stuff, etc. So, I'm looking for some tips or advice from people who have been there. I'd really like to help her learn to talk better than she does. I know she'll learn on her own time, but she's getting close to two and, while she knows lots of words, she doesn't put them together or anything and she doesn't like to use the words she does know.

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice.
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://www.amazon.com/Angel-Blackwood/e/B00SARZLFY -- My Amazon Author Page

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

My daughter wasn't speaking at all at 15 months. I had her evaluated by the special education services in our area for birth to three. Not sure where you're located but I would definitely look into local options. It's part of the school district so ours were completely free and she now gets speech twice a month plus monthly visits from a special ed teacher who specializes in speech issues and a physical therapist (obviously that one isn't related to her speech but she has some gross motor issues too). She has really improved so much since we started! And while I won't know definitely if she would have improved on her own they gave me a lot of great ideas for working with her. Her speech therapist expects her to be on target and finished with speech therapy by the time she starts kindergarten and now we're just working on a articulation issue.
    I know personally it was really frustrating when she wasn't learning to speak. My MIL was convinced she was Autistic and while I thought that was unlikely since her issues were limited to speaking it still was nerve racking not knowing what was going on with my daughter. However for us it appears to have just been a speech delay. Good luck!
    Mother to: Patrick Werner (3/10) and Mary Claire (06/12)

I second the recommendation of an assessment by a speech language pathologist if it's feasible for you. Speech delays are not at all uncommon, and a lot of kids will "outgrow" speech delays by the time they reach school age without much intervention. It sounds like you're doing a lot of good things to encourage her speech, so keep it up! Definitely try and make words and speaking fun, not stressful, with word games...a quick google brought up these two sources, which look like they could be useful for you:

http://kidshealth.org/parent/growth/.../not_talk.html

http://www.asha.org/public/speech/de...Activities.htm

Hope that helps!
    jessamyn

Gwendolen Ruth (Winnie) - Coraline Elsa (Cora) - Isla Maren - Rosemary Beatrice (Remy)
    Cleary Daniel - Abel Theodore - Booker Linus - Gibson Fox

Fur Kids: Caledonia (Kala) & Marty
    TTC #1

Every child is different. One of my younger brother didn't speak until he was 2. He made gestures and basic yes or no answers but didn't actually speak. But he didn't have too. With 3 older siblings we could figure out what he wanted and he never really needed to talk. We just sort of did it for him I guess. He did learn to talk just fine and is set to graduate grade 12 this summer.
    With my two kids I notice my daughter was head and shoulders above my son as far as speech development. By the time we was 3 she could speak not only English with remarkable clarity but had also learned a great deal of Spanish. People would compliment me on how smart she was and how easy to understand she was. My son however, lacks that clarity. He is 3 now and sometimes even I struggle to decipher what it is he is saying. There are a few specific sounds he struggles with more than others. (Sm, Sn) I used to sort of worry about it. But not anymore. We can usually figure out what he is saying and understand him i would say 95% of the time. The few words he pronounces incorrectly we try and correct gently but I don't feel like he is particularly slow. He is just different than my daughter. There are plenty of resources online and if you are lucky even some in your community but at 2 years old I wouldn't worry much about it. Have faith.
    Last edited by farie; January 17th, 2015 at 01:55 PM. Reason: grammar
    My Kids
    ~Abigail (Abby) Lucina Violet
    ~Nathan Kenneth Michael
    ~To Be announced

Hi Dantea,
    If you've got any concerns you should definitely speak with her pediatrician and they'll help you get an evaluation for her. We went through this with our oldest, and it's tremendously helpful to bring in the professionals. He ended up catching up and being absolutely fine by the time he was three (and now he's plenty verbose at 10), and I remember being much less stressed and worried once we started talking to the birth-to-three folks. Good luck and do look into it but try your best not to stress.
    It can take a little bit of time for them to schedule evaluations, so in the meantime, try to read with her and talk with her (pointing to things, talking about the world) as much as you possibly can. Also, while TV is a great, much-needed break for parents, it's less fantastic for language development for whatever reason (even when it's educational stuff) so try your best to cut back or maybe even eliminate it for awhile if you can.

Take care & keep us posted,
    Laura
    Mom to James Daniel (10) William Joseph (9), Elise Marie (7), and Zachary Allan (1)
    http://letterstoauntkay.blogspot.com/

#5, coming in mid-Sept 2015!
    Celia, Rose, Adele, Anne, Cecilia, Serena (Seri), Audrey, Claire, Maisie, Kate, Rebecca, Linnea (Lindy), Gloria
    Thomas, Paul, Henry, Miles, Arthur, Samuel, Seth

Combos of the day: Rose Audrey & Paul Thomas