Names Searched Right Now:
Page 8 of 92 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rosebyanyothername View Post
    hoping Blade or someone else medical can weigh in. I have a very mild case of asthma that almost never requires treatment (a few times a year i need my inhaler). However in the last few days-over the holiday weekend of course, my asthma has become very poorly managed. I need my fast-acting inhaler every few hours, even in the middle of the night I wake up with wheezing and tightness in my chest. I paged my OB yesterday to see if there is anything they can do, and the on-call doctor (not my doctor-who is in a solo practice), said he had never heard of the medicine in my inhaler (pirbuterol) and that go to the ER. Which I didn't do because the case doesn't feel emergent and didn't have anyone to stay with my 2 year old. But I am worried about the effect of the inhalers on the baby, sometimes I need 3-4 puffs to get the attack under control. I keep thinking it will go away (has been triggered by allergies). But this is the 4th day like this.
    About 1/3 of women with asthma have a worsening of their overall control during pregnancy (an equal proportion see an improvement). Basically, pregnancy induces an imbalance in the T cell response which triggers most asthmatic reactions, and the imbalance [which is probably necessary for fetal survival] can lead to more asthma triggers and more genuine exacerbations. The most common identifiable trigger which worsens control status is a recent viral illness, like a cold.

The medication in your inhaler is perfectly safe in pregnancy (it is a B2-agonist, the most common medication used for symptomatic relief. Since asthma is literally the most common chronic disease to afflict pregnant women, it's definitely a little shocking that the on-call person didn't recognize it). Asthma management does not change from pre-pregnancy to during pregnancy, but since many women are more reluctant to use medications when pregnant, one contributing factor to the worsening of overall control is non-adherence to medications. Anyway, I would talk to whoever prescribes it for you (a primary care doctor, if you have one). You are failing symptomatic relief and need a longer-acting control therapy, the most common of which is inhaled corticosteroids [again, safe in pregnancy.] Once you deliver the baby you might well not need these medications as the immune imbalance I spoke of reverses itself quickly.
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq

@Blade, how have you been feeling since your scare last week? Anymore pain or spotting?
    Wife to Jordan.
    Mommy to Everett Callan, born 2010 and Callie Sage Eilonwy, born 2013
    and 2 fur babies: a male standard poodle named Shasta, and a female Australian shepherd named Scout.

If you have any questions about PCOS, infertility, ectopic pregnancy, or Cystic Fibrosis testing, please feel free to message me

Still spotting, much less pain. Have my ultrasound tomorrow.
    Blade, MD

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq

I hope it looks good! Glad the pain is a little less. You'll be in my prayers!
    Wife to Jordan.
    Mommy to Everett Callan, born 2010 and Callie Sage Eilonwy, born 2013
    and 2 fur babies: a male standard poodle named Shasta, and a female Australian shepherd named Scout.

If you have any questions about PCOS, infertility, ectopic pregnancy, or Cystic Fibrosis testing, please feel free to message me

thanks whit, that's very sweet of you.
    Blade, MD