Names Searched Right Now:
Page 16 of 92 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 66 ... LastLast
    Just found this thread, I'm so glad to finally be on my way to being a mama. I'm 15 weeks and due late/Nov-early Dec. (Not a due date person since babies come on their own time anyway:-)

I'm not showing yet, although I can tell my midsection is thicker and my DH can tell I look different, but I look normal to everyone else.

I've had a sensitive gag-reflex (which I don't normally have) which causes me to get "sick" if I don't swallow my prenatals the right way. That's about the main problem I have right now. I love that my chest seems to be growing a little, since I'm not too blessed in that area.

I'm very excited to be having a home birth, if I continue to be low-risk. I plan on only having my DH and midwives there. My MIL knows and although may not completely agree with it, she asks questions respectfully and is not negative which I really appreciate.

A question for you ladies, which I may start a thread to ask if I don't get a response here, but How do you tell your mom delicately that you are having a home birth? My mom lives out of state and is VERY conventional and I'm sure has no idea people even do homebirths these days, (she thought women have morning sickness only in the morning (she never had it so doesn't know) which goes to show she doesn't know much about the process other than what she experienced once 30 years ago when she had me, to put it bluntly). My parents are not tactful and I do not expect them to react in a respectful way or refrain from jumping to conclusions before even knowing what home birth entails. So I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about it. So far, I have thought about inviting them to come visit us for a weekend where we can tell them about it face-to-face, and printing out some material for them to read while also putting forth our reasons. Now when explaining the reasons, I really don't want to have to frame the conversation in a defensive way, b/c that will get tiring very quickly. I don't have a ton of patience with my mother, she annoys me very easily, so I'm worried the face-to-face could backfire, b/c I may become impatient with her response and not be able to calmly respond to the negative reaction. What have you done/would you do in my situation?

PS Some other news I forgot, my first u/s was at 11 weeks and it was such a relief to find a baby in there with a heartbeat and moving around like a little athlete. I'll have another around 18-20 weeks, I don't want to know the sex until birth, but my DH wants to find out so he can "mentally prepare" so it might just be DH finding out the sex and keeping it a secret (I won't ask him about it and we won't tell anyone he knows). We'll see what happens.

I'll be getting my first out of two risk assessments this month since it's a requirement for home birth in my state. Not looking forward to all those blood samples and labs haha :-)
    Last edited by amandaberry; June 9th, 2013 at 04:17 PM.
    DD: Maria Julietta Grace - Dec 2013

Mona Maeve/Maeva Cordelia nn Dolly Magdalena Adelaide Geneva Fiona Flora Ramona Rose Katerina Juliet Aoife Odessa Sylvie Vera Guinevere Vivienne Marina Claire Eva/Ava Augusta Agatha Evelina Lavinia Alouetta

Jack Sawyer Owen Seamus Timothy Vaughn Frank Murphy Spencer Guy Conrad Graham Simon Trevor Theodore Maximus Pierce Mark Hank Rex Colm Leif Eamon Grady Grant Forrest North

So I've been feeling really bad the last couple of days because I keep reading about so many women who either don't show at all this early or only show very little (week 14). I've definitely gained noticeable weight (tho I refuse to get on a scale), I stopped fitting comfortably into my size 6's a few weeks ago. I feel like a cow. I've spent most of my life being a "string bean" so this is new to me and not a good feeling! But the reality is, when I'm not pregnant, I don't eat much. Because I'm generally not very hungry and I don't let myself. I eat protein bars during the day and a small dinner and that's it. Once I found out I was pregnant, I immediately stopped that and began eating 3 actual meals a day, plus snacks when hungry. And I've had zero nausea or upset stomach from the very beginning, I've just been hungry 24/7. Of course I'm happy to not throw up - but I'm not too thrilled about the head start on the weight gain!

Anyway, I've been making a conscious effort to exercise every night, walking 1.5-3 miles - but I live in Vegas and it's been 112 the last couple of days! I think I'm going to join a gym this week, then I can at least walk every day and not have to worry about over-heating.

Believe me, I know the baby will be more than worth it all in the end. It's just another thing I'm struggling with as a first-timer.
    Christine

Pregnancy #1: lost to mc, 10/11

Amelia Joelle arrived on 11/28/13 at 7 pounds, 4 ounces of pure beauty. Couldn't be happier to finally be mommy!

I am almost 16 weeks. I have felt flutters, but no real kicks, yet. So far I have gained 5 pounds, and as of last week had to break out my trusty maternity jeans.. I was hoping to have had an ultrasound to peek at the gender by now, but my Dr. Moved to a new practice, and that has pushed things a bit.. Looks like it will be sometime in July, which is fine as baby will be bigger congrats on all the baby boys on the way! Fun! We can not wait to find out! We have only one biological son who is 16, we have two precious adopted sons who are 5, and 7 girls.. We would be shocked, but so happily surprised if baby is a boy (Luke Elliot).... Our last three babies have been girls, so we have lots of girl things either way we will be thrilled!
    ~ "How can there be too many children? That is like saying there are too many flowers."~ Mother Teresa

@Amandaberry - didn't mean to ignore your question! That sounds like a really tough situation and I don't really have any great answer for you - but I would say go ahead and post it as a separate thread. This site has given me so much wonderful support, ideas, answers, etc., that I'm willing to bet you would get some great advice! And even though I don't have an answer for you, you do have all of my empathy - I also have a very difficult mother so I know what you're going through. It just gets tiring having to explain/defend yourself over and over when all you really need or want from your mom is support. Good luck!
    Christine

Pregnancy #1: lost to mc, 10/11

Amelia Joelle arrived on 11/28/13 at 7 pounds, 4 ounces of pure beauty. Couldn't be happier to finally be mommy!

Quote Originally Posted by amandaberry View Post
    Just found this thread, I'm so glad to finally be on my way to being a mama.
    I'm very excited to be having a home birth, if I continue to be low-risk. I plan on only having my DH and midwives there. My MIL knows and although may not completely agree with it, she asks questions respectfully and is not negative which I really appreciate.

A question for you ladies, which I may start a thread to ask if I don't get a response here, but How do you tell your mom delicately that you are having a home birth? My parents are not tactful and I do not expect them to react in a respectful way or refrain from jumping to conclusions before even knowing what home birth entails. t. I don't have a ton of patience with my mother, she annoys me very easily, so I'm worried the face-to-face could backfire, b/c I may become impatient with her response and not be able to calmly respond to the negative reaction. What have you done/would you do in my situation?
    )
    Hi amandaberry you and your Mum may have a relationship problem but not one that becomes a big problem. It could be that you are just very different personalities anyway you probably know the best way to interact with her so that you don't clash. I am sure that your Mum is thrilled that you are having a baby.

Actually I don't think that it is a bad thing that your mother is not tactful. I think she should be able to say things as she sees them as long as she is not being deliberately hurtful, and please don't be too sensitive to her remarks if you know from long experience that she is outspoken. I think mothers and daughters need an honest relationship, no walking on eggshells please.

If you know that you will get a negative response from Mum just accept that is her attitude, I suggest that you let her know about the home birth when you are talking to her on the phone but reassure her that if there is a problem you will be off to the hospital asap.

You never know she may be all for it and if she is not then she may be scared for you and/or the baby, we mothers are very protective, even when our kids are 50 y.o.